Solved

Question regarding thinning out point clouds

• 16 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi! I need to thin out a uniform(?) point cloud where the points are spaced out evenly, the result should also be spaced out evenly. I tried the PointCloudThinner but it does not seem to do what I want. See attached pictures. The circled objects are the ones that need to be removed. I Hope I explained the problem clearly enough😊 punkter2punkter

icon

Best answer by virtualcitymatt 16 September 2021, 13:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

If the points are aligned to a grid and are integers (e.g., x and y do not have decimals) then you can try this option.

filterThe unfiltered result should contain what you want.

This works by just filtering out all the points (x or y) which are even and keeps the odd points.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Another option is to force to a raster (you could try the NumericRasteriser) here you can specify cell spacing. Just pick twice the spacing of the point cloud. Next step is the then pass the raster through a PointCloudCombiner which will turn it back into a PointCloud.

Another option is to force to a raster (you could try the NumericRasteriser) here you can specify cell spacing. Just pick twice the spacing of the point cloud. Next step is the then pass the raster through a PointCloudCombiner which will turn it back into a PointCloud.

Thank you! I managed to solve the problem with the help of your input.