Solved

How can I control polygon vertex order

• 16 September 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have some simple polygons in a shapefile where, for texturing purposes, it is important where the first edge is compared to other features. I created a workspace that explodes the polygons and reorders the edges based on the other features. At this point everything looks good.

However, when I use AreaBuilder to rebuild the polygons, on some (most are ok), the edge ordering is not maintained. How can I keep the edge order I want?

EdgeOrdering

icon

Best answer by virtualcitymatt 16 September 2021, 10:59

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

hmm, have you tried the area builder with just the points (rather than the lines). That would be something I'd try.

Userlevel 4

You could also try the LineCloser, or simply the GeometryCoercer set to fme_polygon.

Badge

hmm, have you tried the area builder with just the points (rather than the lines). That would be something I'd try.

Thanks, this works - although of course the AreaBuilder doesn't accept points so I used the LineBuilder instead.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

You could also try the LineCloser, or simply the GeometryCoercer set to fme_polygon.

I think the problem is that he has 4 line segments and the AreaBuilder is messing up the order which is weird.

Userlevel 4

I think the problem is that he has 4 line segments and the AreaBuilder is messing up the order which is weird.

Ah yes, I see now. It would be necessary to use a LineJoiner first, to try my suggestions.

I agree that the mixed up order is weird. I've seen something similar when writing and re-reading the same object from SDE, interestingly enough.