Question

Workbench .fmw file is not opening, corrupt?

• 13 September 2021
  • 5 replies

I'm trying to open my workbench, the .fmw, but when it opens it shows an empty canvas.

The workbench (.fmw) is 3.5 mb, the recovery file is empty. It was made with FME Workbench 2019.2.

I've been working days and weeks on the workbench, and foolish enough, my last 'handmade' backup is a week old.....

Is there a way to recover the .fmw file?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Is it valid XML? You can check that with an XMLValidator.

Can you read it with a Workspace Reader?

Userlevel 4

Try sending the fmw to Safe support (through your reseller, if you have bought your license through them), they can sometimes fix corrupted files.

Thank you very much! I tried both options. But I dont have software or experience with XML to check wether it is valid. Fortunate for me, ICT was just able to recover a backup. This was the third time in a year a workbench didn't work. I ques I'll better add a file copy writer to the workbench to make an extra backup copy.

I had this issue for the first time in 2021.1, the workspace didn't open and no errors.

I made a copy and deleted the .recover file which I think had become stale (the backup tmps it pointed to no longer existed).

This resolved the issue for me

I had this issue for the first time in 2021.1, the workspace didn't open and no errors.

I made a copy and deleted the .recover file which I think had become stale (the backup tmps it pointed to no longer existed).

This resolved the issue for me

Oh man, it saved my workspace on which I worked for a couple of weeks. Thank you! It happened to me on FME Desktop 2022.1.3.