Question

How to open, save and close an Excel Document.

• 12 August 2021
  • 1 reply

Greetings,

I have a MS Excel Spreadsheet hosted in MS OneDive. Upon opening the spreadsheet, a MicroStrategy report runs via an Excel Plugin (it takes abut 5 minutes to finish) and refreshes the content of the spreadsheet. Once the spreadsheet's contents are refreshed, I would like to save the changes and close the spreadsheet.

I do not think the Excel feature reader will work, as the act of opening the spreadsheet its self is what triggers the report. We cannot use the SystemCaller transformer to call the cmd prompt start function, as the file resides OneDrive. Even if we could get that to work, we would still have to save and close the spreadsheet.

Ultimately, I would like to upload this workspace to FME server and have it run every morning.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Can you set up MS One Drive to sync to the FME Server? The OneDrive app should work - If so you should be able to use the SystemCaller - although I guess that is just one of the challenges.

The real challenge here is the actual script needed to open, wait, save and then close the file.

Could you at least get the file to automatically save as part of the script which runs when opened? That way you'd only really need to open and close it.

In the end if you want this to run on FME Server maybe you can just replace the 5 minute process with an FME workspace instead?