What's Up Wednesday: FME News for the Week Ending 6-August-2021

• 4 August 2021
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello FME'ers,

Welcome to What's Up Wednesday.

If you're a sports fan like myself, you'll have a lot of Olympic activity to follow already - not least the upcoming women's football/soccer final between Canada and Sweden. So good luck to our Swedish users... but not too much!

If you can tear yourself away from watching those events, here are the events taking part in the world of FME.

FME Hub Uploads

As always, the start of the month brings a recap of the previous month's activity on the FME Hub. The Hub itself seems to produce a great monthly digest page automatically, but I did want to highlight what looks like a very interesting addition: a Vintage Map to 3D Art template from user janrykr.VintageMapArtI only have the above thumbnail image from the template to go on, so if you try it out please do post your results below. I'd love to see them.

GeoHipster Calendar Mention

Speaking of arty maps, FME gets a nice mention from user Owen Powell on the GeoHipster blog today. Owen does some beautiful work using FME and Blender, and I thoroughly recommend you look him up. Here's the one that is included in the GeoHipster calendar:

OwenJapanDon't forget to browse the rest of the GeoHipster site while you are there, and give them a follow on social media.

FME Release

As mentioned last week, yesterday was a release date for FME 2021.1.1 (build 21619). The Whats New file is fairly sparse, but I can see more of what has been included and I still don't honestly see much that tells me to upgrade; not unless you're waiting on a specific bug fix.

So, to make this more of interest, did you know that the format of the version name is 2021.x.y.z where:

• x is a "major" release
  • y is a "minor" release
  • z is a "micro" release.

So this is a minor release, which usually happens monthly. You can find out more about major, minor, and micro release types and schedules in an article entitled FME Release Process and Versioning.

Community Updates

I don't have any more items, so I guess it's been quite quiet this week! But I can say that we're working on a whole bunch of ways to refresh the FME community. We're going to start out with a community survey, then we'll start holding monthly activities and events to keep us both educated and entertained. So keep an eye out for these, starting with the survey during September.

Regards

Mark

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Awesome, thanks!