Question

Rendering issues with SLPKs created in FME

• 3 August 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

I am currently working with a number of 3D models that I need converting from CityGMLs to SLPKs (ESRI Scene layer packages) to be brought into ArcPro.

I have found two ways to do this:

1) firstly I can write to a File Geodatabase in FME before importing the file into ArcPro and performing the conversion to an SLPK there using the 'Create 3D Object Scene Layer Package' tool.

or

2) I can write directly to an SPLK in FME using the 'Esri Indexed 3D Scene Layer' writer.

Ideally I would like to use the latter of the methods as it removes a step from the process however I have noticed that there are differences between the datasets being produced from each method.

When both files are loaded into ArcPro, the SLPK created in ArcPro renders very nicely with all elements being displayed, while the SLPK created in FME sees alot fo the elements appear and re-appear at diferent zoom levels - I am just wondering why this might be?

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

I have the same experience and also would like to understand why. Is this because while the structure of the format is open, the algorithm to create the data is not?

As an alternative you can use FME to write to the featureclass, then use a PythonCaller to let pro generate the slpk, then use the ArcGISOnlineConnector to upload and publish the slpk.

Badge

Hi @nielsgerrits​ and @izz88​ I have recently ran into this issue with another user I have filed an issue with the dev team here is the issue number FMEENGINE-70324.

Thanks, Daragh