Question

Turning FME Points in to AGOL Feature Layer

• 26 July 2021
  • 1 reply

I am working on a longterm project that will take csv files, turn the data into fme points and then use them to publish an agol web map. I have been trying to play around with the agol writer to publish the new feature layer. Whenever I use the writer to create a new feature layer, the data is lost, somewhere in the process and i get a blank layer with no data in it. Furthermore, when I try to insert data into these layers, nothing happens, the writer says it runs successfully but there will be no new data in the tables, they will remain blank. The final goal of this project as I said is to take csv data files containing point data and automate the process of making a web map with them. Is FME's writer unfeasible for this task? Do i need to accomplish this goal using Arcgis REST Api? The CSV datafiles typically contain the following: Latitude, Longitude, Object ID, Completion Status, Address, and a notes field. If I need to use python, how do I write my code so that it will use the fme parameters? Any pointers anyone can give would be helpful. Thank you.

1 reply

Badge +2

Hi @niftyzach​ ,

This should be doable using the AGOL writer but we'll need more info about your workspace (like the writer parameters) to help point you in the right direction. Are you getting any errors or warnings in the log file?

Are you able to upload the workspace you have so far so we can take a quick look to see if anything stands out? Or even a small sample dataset and workspace that reproduces the problem?

My initial thought is, there should be some warnings in the log potentially indicating an attribute warning due to mismatched names. Similar for any geometry issues, it would be because there is a potential geometry mismatch for what is in the writer vs what the feature layer is defined as. However, it would be great to take a closer look at the workspace so we can provide more detail.