Solved

Manipulation of objects in 3D

Badge +5

Hello everyone!

I have a sample Revit file which contains the basic elements of a Revit file.

I am interested in performing certain geometric tests through the FME, for example:

Are certain elements in a place where they are not supposed to be present,

Is a certain element in the right room,

Does the element of a toilet for example, have enough space according to the standard we will define.

And so on.

When I approached the task, I was sure that the FME would be able to solve it without any problem at all, and then reality hit me.

Any action I try to do with the help of the transformers I know (I work mostly in the GIS world, and know it's a little different from BIM), I do not succeed.

For example:

PS_1I intentionally inserted a foundations between the walls, and I expected to see that when I make a clip between the wall and the foundations, one object will be inside.

PS_2What am I missing here?

Do I need to move the 3D objects through another process before the required actions can be performed?

Or maybe it's not the right transponder?

I would be very happy if you could help me

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by virtualcitymatt 20 July 2021, 09:00

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

The Clipper only works in 2D and only works on vector data (not surfaces). This makes it really difficult when working with 3D data as if converting to polygons you end up with triangles. The clipper also struggles with vertical polygons.

If you are able to do the majority of your tests in 2D that will make things a lot easier. Perhaps you can give each element a 'floor' number and then process in 2D based on that.

It will not solve all the problems but you should be able to at least do a few good tests that way.

Badge +5

The Clipper only works in 2D and only works on vector data (not surfaces). This makes it really difficult when working with 3D data as if converting to polygons you end up with triangles. The clipper also struggles with vertical polygons.

If you are able to do the majority of your tests in 2D that will make things a lot easier. Perhaps you can give each element a 'floor' number and then process in 2D based on that.

It will not solve all the problems but you should be able to at least do a few good tests that way.

Thanks a lot!

I think that will do most of our test!