Question

Find point in between 2 parallel lines (Dual carriageway road)

I have sample data where dual carriageway road is present in one layer and in another layer I have point layer, I need to find out of point which falls inside dual carriageway road, as shown in image red circle. If point is outside the dual carriageway road then no issues but it should not be in 2 lines, sample data is attached.

If anyone can help with workbench then it would be really nice and time saver for me, thanks in advance 😀 .

Capture1

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

I think if you can use a nearest neighbour finder and check if a point has two neighbouring lines within a certain distance. Any points that match two lines fall between two carriageways. Depending on your data you might need to do something slightly more sophisticated, i.e. check that the two lines are in opposite directions but the neighbour finder should be a good starting point.

Capture

I think if you can use a nearest neighbour finder and check if a point has two neighbouring lines within a certain distance. Any points that match two lines fall between two carriageways. Depending on your data you might need to do something slightly more sophisticated, i.e. check that the two lines are in opposite directions but the neighbour finder should be a good starting point.

Capture

@ebygomm​ , thanks for reply. Distance will change and direction of the digitization is also not constant in may cases.

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

@ebygomm​ , thanks for reply. Distance will change and direction of the digitization is also not constant in may cases.

The distance between two carriageways must surely have a max distance. Direction of digitisation is irrelevant for this method

Will try and let you know if further assistance required. Thanks 👍