Solved

FME insists on creating lines from point table

• 24 June 2021
  • 8 replies

I have a table that has x and y coordinates. I am trying to write to an sde point feature class and it is failing. The error message is that 'line' features can't be put into a point feature class.

Each record has one x and one y value. The log says there are 2 coordinates (which is why it's trying to make a line), but I have no idea why its seeing 2 x values for any record.

I exported as lines and got the correct number of lines of 0 length. They actually are in the right place in GIS.

Light on details, but if anyone has hit this snag and recovered, I'd love to hear about it. There is NOTHING weird about this table. Sensitive data so I can't provide details.

Actually, it is only some records - an identifiable set - the other records will create points. I see nothing different about the records that fme wants to turn into lines.

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

icon

Best answer by DanAtSafe 24 June 2021, 23:25

View original

8 replies

Badge +2

@rmcgregor​ use feature caching to view the data just before it goes into the ArcSDE writer. Check the feature geometry and see what you have. Is it a iFMEPoint or iFMEline or something else...

Thank you!

It seems to be making 3D lines. I see thm in the in the 3d viewer. They look like shafts. Not sure why? How do I check the iFMEPoint variable?

The "good" records are visible in the 2d preview window. Something is 'telling' some records that they are 3d extrusions rather than points...

Vertex creator is doing it. My instructions are to make a point using x_coord and y_coord values, one pair for each record. Very very strange.

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

By default the VertexCreator will 'Add Point', not 'Replace with Point' . If the X & Y values entered are the same as the point already then it will create a line of 0 length with 2 identical vertices - even in 2D.

Thanks. It should be adding a point. Sounds like it's trying do 'replace with point'?

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

If you want to send points to SDE then skip the VertexCreator or else use the 'Replace with Point' option.

If you want to send points to SDE then skip the VertexCreator or else use the 'Replace with Point' option.

That did it! I just unplugged vertex creator, and ALL records went into sde as point features just fine. I didn't know that was possible, and I don't know why vertex creator was making "3D" features with some records and not others.

Thank you very much,

Randy McGregor