Question

Map data with fields that have no coordinates

Badge +5

Hi,

I have a CSV file which i would like to convert to Shape file so that it can be mapped. Within the data there are Easting and Northing fields with coordinates and can convert successfully but there are some records that have no coordinates.

The records with no coordinates do have zipcodes/postcodes however and I hope to match to their centroid as I have the postcode data with centroids to hand.

I figure I need to somehow identify the Easting and Northing fields that contain no values then match them using the Postcode in a stand alone table that has the centroid coordinates then join all the data back up again to generate a single shape file.

Not used FME very much at all and rather confused as to which Transformers etc. required. Thanks in advance.FME_CSV2SHP

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

The GeometryFilter can check if the CSV reader could read Easting / Northing.

The FeatureMerger can join the Postcode table to the features without geometry.

The VertexCreator can create points from Easting / Northing.

Badge +8

Hi @chris_acc​ as @nielsgerrits​ mentioned you can use Vertex creator or simply set the x and y values in the CSV reader itself. You will definitely require FeatureMerger to perform a join.

Badge +5

Thank you @rahulsharma​ @nielsgerrits​ 

I have added the Feature Merger and and the CSV file I have created that contains each Postcode and a coordinate for each.

CSV_FeatureMerger1I'm struggling to understand the Properties required in Feature Merger however

FME_FeatureMerger2I think I would then have to create a writer to output matched records?

The idea I have is below, I just don't understand the process. Hopefully someone can help please.

HMO_Process_Flow