Question

AutoCAD -attributes and block issues

Badge +5

Hello every one,

I have a cad file with lines and block on to on them.

The block have some attributes, and one of the is Length.

for some reason, there are a lot of blocks that instead of having the length properly, it have #### marks.

I tried to fixit of course with FME, I managed to recover the length from the line which the block is belonging to, but- when i'm writing it to dwg, it is get mess again!

I tried to use Attribute Output in the writer definition, 'Inserts' or 'Limited' got the right length number, but they destroy a lot of other definitions in the cad file.

can someone please help me?

I'm attaching here small sample..

Thanks!

6 replies

Badge +20

FME reads #### because the dwg file contains that value.

The block attribute contains a Field value that is unreferenced.

You should contact the original creators of the dwg file and get a version of it that still has entities that the attribute references.

Autocad block with fields

Badge +5

FME reads #### because the dwg file contains that value.

The block attribute contains a Field value that is unreferenced.

You should contact the original creators of the dwg file and get a version of it that still has entities that the attribute references.

Autocad block with fields

Ok,

I will try!

But there is no other way?

I was sure that fme will help me here..

Badge +20

Ok,

I will try!

A problem always has multiple solutions 😉

You have to set the Reader to NOT Explode Blocks into Entities, NOT Read Visible Attributes as Text Entities.

dwg readerExpose the attributes that you need, put the length of the lines into an attribute, do PointOnLineOverlay with blocks as Points and lines as Lines and check Merge Attributes.

The Points output port gives you your blocks back.

WorkspaceThen just create your desired output.

Badge +5

Ok,

I will try!

Hey @caracadrian​ 

I've been trying for a good few days to make this change.

I talked to the creator of the block, and we could not figure out what the problem was.

At first we thought the problem was that the attribute of length is related through lisp, so we broke that connection, and I thought it would help.

And it did not help.

I've found that I'm not able to modify any attribute when I'm under 'Extend Entity Data' setting.

When I'm in 'insert' or 'Limited' it gives me something that could be good for me, besides the fact it changes the angle of rotation of one of the entities (14.90 / 13.36)Pic-1 

Do you have any idea what settings I need to change, in AutoCAD or FME?

It's really critical to us that it succeeds, and I feel lost.

Thanks!

Badge +5

Hello everyone!

almost two weeks after the first post,

And I'm still having a serious problem with this issue.

Can anyone help me?

This is a really critical issue for my office.

Tanks alot!

@caracadrian

Hello everyone!

I have a similar issue with you guys and I was wondering is there anyone fixed this issue.

I m dealing with this for a week and couldn't find any solution.

When I open my template which includes the doors with attributes. It works perfectly for a while and I save and close the file but when I open it again the width values of my doors and windows change with "###".

I need your help guys!resim_2023-06-07_102346243image