Question

How to capture the user running Server App's?

Badge

So I have built a basic server app that allows users to log in and run a workspace. Using the 'Require Authentication' option in the app. Created a user account and user is able to execute process.

But I'm having trouble capturing the user name as part of the routine to write to a history table. In my Desktop workbench, I'm using a Published Parameter defaulting to:

$(FME_SECURITY_USER)

In the Server workspace, I'm not showing that particular parameter so that it can't be changed to something else. When I run it myself while logged in as 'admin', that's what gets logged. But when I have user "johnsmith" running it as, it logs NULL.  Am I missing something else?

Also is there any way to leverage AD Authentication if you don't want to set up a bunch of users and require them to log in to run the app?

Thanks.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @agelfert​,

I saw some good discussion and an answer on this topic in another thread here: Get a user ID while running a Server App. (Server experts please correct me if I'm wrong), but to my knowledge, this isn't possible to do just yet though it's under consideration as an enhancement functionality. Holly's answer in the linked thread goes into more detail.

In the meantime, there's an idea here that we're tracking that you can upvote in the Ideas Forum and add your use case to add weight to the idea.

Badge

Hey thanks, jovita. Hadn't seen that thread... agree with the conversation there that this needs to be added. Otherwise what's the point of that attribute. This time of functionality will be very helpful for building some lightweight FME apps that allow my users to edit/enter data especially for QC purposes. But without logging their name, there ain't much C in QC. I'll keep an eye on this.