Question

I have been wondering this for some time now. How the heck do I take data from a Geocodeserver and make a shapefile? I know how to do it with a featureserver and mapserver but not Geocodeserver.

I understand if there is a mapserver or featureserver I can run the url into a reader, have it read into a table, create a writer to write the information into a shapefile. Then the shapefile is sent to a folder I select. I have all of that down. What I am wondering is how can I do this with a geocodeserver? Every time I take the url of the geocodeserver and try to make it into a reader, it fails....I think I need a certain reader, but I am not sure what I need. I can provide an example url if need be.   

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

A sample url would be useful so we can give you some more specific suggestions.

sure! here you go: https://geoservices.iowa.gov/arcgis/rest/services/location

A sample url would be useful so we can give you some more specific suggestions.

https://geoservices.iowa.gov/arcgis/rest/services/location

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

My API-wrangling skills are a bit rusty. I can get a JSON output out of the form, so the thing is working, but I can't seem to get it to behave with the REST API, which is what you'd need really.

In short the process would be to use a HTTPCaller to sent a request to the service, which will then respond with a result either in an attribute (JSON) or download (KMZ). The trick is to format the request and that's where I'm hitting a wall.

My API-wrangling skills are a bit rusty. I can get a JSON output out of the form, so the thing is working, but I can't seem to get it to behave with the REST API, which is what you'd need really.

In short the process would be to use a HTTPCaller to sent a request to the service, which will then respond with a result either in an attribute (JSON) or download (KMZ). The trick is to format the request and that's where I'm hitting a wall.

Darn. Based on what I have researched, you need to know information on the geocodeserver (basically be the individual who created it) in order to get it to work. I might reach out to the creator of this data. I think that is the only way to get this to work. Thank you very much for your help!