Solved

Can't get simple regular expression to work

Badge

Dear smarter people than me -

I have a cad files with layers that start with either A- or C- and then one basemap layer called Mad_PARCELS. In my reader I only want to read the A- and C- layers. How would I query this out in the Merge feature type using regular expression. Or how do you combing two wildcard expressions? I can't really find any good documentation on regular expression examples. TIA

icon

Best answer by gazza 22 May 2021, 01:02

View original

6 replies

Badge +5

With RegEx a ^ means start of string and a | means OR, so you probably want something like:

^A-|^C-

Badge +5

With RegEx a ^ means start of string and a | means OR, so you probably want something like:

^A-|^C-

Or you could use:

^[AC]-

which means, start of the string is either an A or a C then a -

Badge

Thanks!

Neither of those worked (nothing passed through). I tried those (or something similar, I don't remember, I tried probably 50 different iterations before posting). So there must be something else going on with my workbench (or my source DWG). But I at least know I was on the right track now, so I can go back and see what else it going on in that workbench, or at least break it down step by step.

I appreciate the quick response.

Badge +5

Thanks!

Neither of those worked (nothing passed through). I tried those (or something similar, I don't remember, I tried probably 50 different iterations before posting). So there must be something else going on with my workbench (or my source DWG). But I at least know I was on the right track now, so I can go back and see what else it going on in that workbench, or at least break it down step by step.

I appreciate the quick response.

I think I have it:

^[AC]-\\S+

This means, Starts with A or C, followed by -, followed by any number of other characters.

Badge

I think I have it:

^[AC]-\\S+

This means, Starts with A or C, followed by -, followed by any number of other characters.

Thanks so much for the additional research on this. This did work. I ended up just doing a tester to remove that one layer, but it takes so long to go through the 60K features on that one layer. I tested and it reads this way soooo much faster, so I really appreciate that, I don't think I would have gotten that one.

Badge +5

I think I have it:

^[AC]-\\S+

You are welcome, glad it works. The trick was that the RegEx needs to match the entire layer name not just the first few characters.