Solved

Slice a planar area through a solid feature

Badge +6

Hi there,

is ther any possibility now (i saw the idea about a 3d Slicer) to slice a solid with a planar area (e.g. a bounding box) a few times with different elevations?

For example ....one slice after 1 meter, 2 meters and so on....?

Any helps?

Greetz

Franco

icon

Best answer by hkingsbury 10 May 2021, 23:34

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

You can use the clipper for that. Say you have a plane at 5m elevation, extrude it downwards to fully encompass the solid. Pass the solid in the Clippee port of the Clipper and the extruded plane into the Clipper port.

Do note, it will be pretty slow for complex geoms

Badge +6

You can use the clipper for that. Say you have a plane at 5m elevation, extrude it downwards to fully encompass the solid. Pass the solid in the Clippee port of the Clipper and the extruded plane into the Clipper port.

Do note, it will be pretty slow for complex geoms

Thank you for the idea...it works

i will try to add a question to this topic:

if for example the solid is 3m in height and i want to slice it again and again (like a looper) every 10 centimeters (i know performance and soon...but only specualtive)

from zero height to maximum height of the solid (e.g. from 0 to 3meters) and then send the outputs to a duplicate remover (geometry) to get the different edges of a solid? how owuld i do that? OR

is there a more simple way to get this out of a solid?

Greetz and cheers to New Zealand

Franco

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

if for example the solid is 3m in height and i want to slice it again and again (like a looper) every 10 centimeters (i know performance and soon...but only specualtive)

from zero height to maximum height of the solid (e.g. from 0 to 3meters) and then send the outputs to a duplicate remover (geometry) to get the different edges of a solid? how owuld i do that? OR

Franco

Here is a rough outline of how i'd solve the first part of the question, not sure on the edges however.

Take the 2d bounding box of the object (XY). Place the min Z and max Z onto the bounding box or the height of the object assuming its siting on a plane at Z=0. Using the 3DForcer, set the bounding box Z to the min Z value. Take the total heigh of the object and divide by you slice height (300cm/10cm=30). Using the cloner make (300cm/10cm=)30 copies of the bounding box. Then use the Offsetter to offset each plane using _copynum*10cm. You'll now have 30 planes at 10cm intervals. Then extrude them all by 10cm and use those as the clipper and your original object as the clippe

Badge +6

Franco

Hi hkings...thank you for support so far.....it all works and the result is right before the clipper.....but the clipper doesnt work right....i have tried many param settings but i only get one result...i want all results....

Greetz and cheers from vienna

Badge +6

Franco

...was my fault...it works...Thank you very much!!