Question

Hello, I want to generate simple closed 3D shell/volume/surface from complex BIM/IFC/3D building.

• 27 April 2021
  • 4 replies

My best result is converting my input building model into a point cloud using "PointCloudCombiner". Then converting the point cloud to a surface using "PointCloudSurfaceBuilder". I used the "Poisson" algorithm, which seems to produce the best result. I'd like to improve the result, as you can see in my picture, the final surface is still quite rounded at some areas. Have you any idea to improve the parameters as the "Poisson" algorithm is quite complicated. Thanks in advance, Frank

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I can't help you with this but I think you're approach is pretty interesting. The whole BIM to GIS (E.g, CityGML) process is a pretty hot topic. And simplifying the geometry is the biggest challenge which as far as I've seen has yet to be solved - at least not in a general consistent way​.

Are you trying to make this a ​general process? Or us it just for this model?

I can't help you with this but I think you're approach is pretty interesting. The whole BIM to GIS (E.g, CityGML) process is a pretty hot topic. And simplifying the geometry is the biggest challenge which as far as I've seen has yet to be solved - at least not in a general consistent way​.

Are you trying to make this a ​general process? Or us it just for this model?

Hi,

After numerous tests, I succeeded to generate proper shell with Mesh​Lab.

I'll stick to that process.

Frank​

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hi,

After numerous tests, I succeeded to generate proper shell with Mesh​Lab.

I'll stick to that process.

Frank​

Hi Frank, are you able to share the steps you used in Mesh lab?​

Hello Matt,

Basically export the IFC classes that you want to use to generate the shell in a 3D format (3DS for ex) with FME, import it in MeshLab, FILTER / Remeshing / Convex Hull. If your model has a complexe shape, do the same step selecting some part of your building. It works well for me. Frank