Question

What is the best workflow to update SharePoint?

Badge +4

I have a workspace that reads from non-SharePoint sources and writes to SharePoint. I am using a change detector along with fme_db_operation to insert, delete, or update accordingly. However, I recently noticed an error message that the updates were not updating and required a sharepoint_item_id.

1) Is there a way to update SharePoint without the sharepoint_item_id, perhaps on a separate unique attribute, or is sharepoint_item_id mandatory?

2) If 1) requires sharepoint_item_id, what is the best way to attach sharepoint_item_id to records. I can imagine a reader, then join, but wondering if there is a best practice for these cases.

Thank you,

Tyler

2 replies

Badge

Hi @townest​ thank you for the questions, so if you have the Feature Operation set to Update, Delete, or fme_db_operation this will activate the Item ID Attribute.

It identifies the attribute that contains the Item ID value on input features. This value is then used to identify which existing Item to Update or Delete. For more info see this doc.

So as this attribute is needed I believe it would be best to maybe use a FeatureReader or reader, read the table from SharePoint then merge it with your non-SharePoint data. As long as it has the sharepoint_item_id then you should be able to write to SharePoint again.

Badge +4

Thank you. Yes, it does seem I'll have to pre-merge to back-assign sharepoint_item_id. I'll give it a go.

Tyler