Solved

I have a shapefile of 50,000 points and I would like to split this out and create polygons around groups of 500 points. Can anyone help with the easiest way to accomplish this?

• 30 March 2021
  • 4 replies

From a shapefile of 50,000 points, the final output on this would be polygons that contain 500 points per polygon. Appreciate any guidance on the best way to do this.

icon

Best answer by geomancer 31 March 2021, 09:13

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @gis_queen​ ,

Please have a look at the FME Hub transformer PointCloudDensityTiler. I think it may be able to what you want.

Hi @gis_queen​ ,

Please have a look at the FME Hub transformer PointCloudDensityTiler. I think it may be able to what you want.

hmm it doesn't seem to like my filetype using a shapefile or file geodatabase. I have never worked with point cloud data types - should I just write this to some sort of point cloud file or try to?

Badge +22

hmm it doesn't seem to like my filetype using a shapefile or file geodatabase. I have never worked with point cloud data types - should I just write this to some sort of point cloud file or try to?

You can use a pointCloudCombiner to convert your shapefile to a point cloud, no need to write out an interim format.

Userlevel 5
Badge +36

Also this blog post by @mark2atsafe​ on spatial sorting may be of interest.