Solved

Vertex Creator is working differently in 2018 and 2020 version

• 18 March 2021
  • 3 replies

I'm trying to convert to points from a csv files (it cointains longitude. latitude) but I am getting different results in FME 2018 and FME 2020 version even when the parameters are the same....do yo know what is happening here? FME 2018 is showing the correct projection. Could you help me with this doubt, please?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by DanAtSafe 18 March 2021, 02:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi @velazquezmpablo Are you sure it's the same data? If you have both FME 2018 and 2020 installed then first edit and run the workspace with FME 2018. Then close Workbench and run it again from the command line using FME 2020. e.g. <fme_2020_install_dir>\\fme.exe csv2points.fmw --FME_LAUNCH_VIEWER_APP YES

The VertexCreator will in 'Add Point' mode create a point if the input has NULL geometry, but add a 2nd vertex if the input happens to be a vertex at 0,0 - which might be what your 2nd screenshot shows.

You also might want to change the attribute definition on your CSV reader so that the geometry is set on the reader and the VertexCreator isn't needed. Set lon and lat to x_coord and y_coord, respectively.

Thank you Dan, I changed the parameter "MOde" to "Replace with point" and it worked. Apparently it was detecting previous geometry.

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

I believe the difference is actually with the CSV reader. Similar to the excel reader, if it detects fields with the names 'Latitude', 'Longitude' it will automatically create a point geometry for you.

While this may save you a vertex creator, it can also get tricky if you have both Lat/Longs and Easting/Nothings in your dataset.