Question

Difference between "Feature types to read" and 'Feature types'

• 15 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi Everyone,

I am new to FME and trying to understand basics. Please help in clarifying below doubt.

I have a FME Non-Spatial oracle data reader which is pointing to table 'ABC'.And I have another table 'XYZ' with same schema .

In my FME workbench "Feature types to read" is set as 'ABC', where as 'Feature types' is set as 'XYZ'

I also have Where clause set under 'Advanced', please let me know the difference between "Feature types to read" and 'Feature types' and to which table the where clause points to.

Thank you in advance.

2 replies

Badge +2

@nibeditapadhi09​ Feature Types to Read allows you to select which of the feature types defined on your workbench you want FME to read. By default, FME will try and read all the feature types (tables) that are defined on the workspace canvas. So if you add both your tables ABC & XYZ to workbench you can choose which one to read. This is the easiest solution.

This can be taken one step further by using "Merge Feature Type" This allows you to use a wildcard to select tables that you might read, but then use Feature Types to Read to select which feature type to read in this FME job (also know as a dynamic workflow) . This is useful if you have several different tables you might read, or if the table names change quite a bit

Thank you Mark