Question

Hey guys, I was just wondering how I could combine a line feature with a 50m buffer and a processed LiDAR file and combine them to extract as much information as possible?

I am working on a project involving vegetation near powerlines posing a risk. Currently I have the processed LiDAR data through VR Mesh which has classified the vegetation crowns, and an Esri shapefile containing the entire network. So far I have added a buffer of 50m and clipped the powerlines to the LiDAR area (only a small area). I now want to add them together and extract this information (distance, angle, height of trees), especially the X,Y,Z coordinates of the trees into an excel spreadsheet. If anyone has any knowledge on how to do this please share it as I'm new to FME.

Thank you,

Ben

2 replies

Badge +20

Can you be a little graphical?

Can you share some sample data?

What are distance and angle? Related to what?

Basicaly you can clip the LIDAR data (you haven't specified it's format: raster, pointcloud, something else) to a buffer of the powerlines, get the orientation of each line, rotate everything in a single axis direction, profile everything, do a nearest neighbor to get distances and angles.

Use tree meshes and do some statistics on them to get z.max, a HullReplacer or SurfaceFootprintReplacer and a CenterPointExtractor to get x,y of the tree.

Can you be a little graphical?

Can you share some sample data?

What are distance and angle? Related to what?

Basicaly you can clip the LIDAR data (you haven't specified it's format: raster, pointcloud, something else) to a buffer of the powerlines, get the orientation of each line, rotate everything in a single axis direction, profile everything, do a nearest neighbor to get distances and angles.

Use tree meshes and do some statistics on them to get z.max, a HullReplacer or SurfaceFootprintReplacer and a CenterPointExtractor to get x,y of the tree.

The distance and the angle refer to the trees to the closest portion of the powerline, the LiDAR data is a point cloud processed into a .pcp format. Unable to share the sample data due to company security policies.

The end goal I suppose is to extract as much information relating the vegetation to the powerlines as possible for graphing in Power BI at a later stage in the process.