Question

FME maps nulls to zeroes in model, but in SDE, they are written as nulls

• 9 February 2021
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +4

Hi all - I've got a model where the nulls are mapped as zeroes, however when I write it out to an SDE, the nulls are still nulls.

I did try this with a Geodatabase, and it wrote the nulls out as zeroes, and I imported that into the SDE - all looked good until I re-ran it and the newly-made zeroes turned into nulls, despite the AttributeManager saying to write out zeroes.

I realise in writing this, the amount of times I put "nulls" and "zeroes" has probably caused you to space out.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

I can try to reproduce this, but need to know more info.

What field type is the target field?

Is it nullable? (just checking)

Which FME version?

A printscreen of the ArcCatalog properties of the field will do.

Badge +4

I think you're onto something - let me guess, if I put in "Allow null values" to "No" it should be ok? Seems so to me lol

I think my brain has turned into pudding, but thank you for what looks like an answer

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

I think you're onto something - let me guess, if I put in "Allow null values" to "No" it should be ok? Seems so to me lol

I think my brain has turned into pudding, but thank you for what looks like an answer

I did try to reproduce you issue and got my head buzzed as well... I initially thought you wanted to insert <null>, but you want to insert 0, not <null>.

Using FME 2019.1.2 and SDE 10.8 and your settings I can insert row's with zero's.

Did you check the output of the AttributeManager using an inspector? Just to be sure, again.

Badge +4

I did try to reproduce you issue and got my head buzzed as well... I initially thought you wanted to insert <null>, but you want to insert 0, not <null>.

Using FME 2019.1.2 and SDE 10.8 and your settings I can insert row's with zero's.

Did you check the output of the AttributeManager using an inspector? Just to be sure, again.

Hi Niels, checking in fme it shows zeroes, no nulls. SDE is 10.7 but I'm in the process of manually recreating the field with nulls allowed set to no, so fingers crossed! This is all due to missing symbology on a map as it can't read null entries. Fingers crossed