Question

FME 2020: The “ArcSDEGridSnapper” tool appears not to be available,

• 1 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +5

FME 2020: The “ArcSDEGridSnapper” tool appears not to be available,

I couldn’t figure out why the “ArcSDEGridSnapper” tool appears not to be available

Clip_142

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

ArcSDEGridSnapper has been deprecated starting FME 2020

Badge +5

Thank you for the answer.

is there any replacement for this tool?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @jamal​ , It really depends on what you are looking to achieve! Perhaps, you could try using the GeometryValidator transformer as a workaround. Another option to try, sometimes writing to a File Geodatabase and then back to the Enterprise Geodatabase can work (as File Geodatabase has a different grid underneath). Hope this helps, Kailin.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Heja @kailinatsafe​, can you tell why the ArcSDEGridSnapper is deprecated? I use this transformer to prepare my geometry before sending it to the SDE writer, to prevent the workspace from failing. This is all in server, where I have less control over the data my users are uploading.

My current workaround is to keep an old version of this transformer and copy paste it to a new workspace, but if there is a valid reason not to use it anymore I would like to know :-)

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Heja @kailinatsafe​, can you tell why the ArcSDEGridSnapper is deprecated? I use this transformer to prepare my geometry before sending it to the SDE writer, to prevent the workspace from failing. This is all in server, where I have less control over the data my users are uploading.

My current workaround is to keep an old version of this transformer and copy paste it to a new workspace, but if there is a valid reason not to use it anymore I would like to know :-)

Hello @nielsgerrits​ , the ArcSDEGridSnapper was deprecated with the old SDE format. Since we removed the format support, transformers that prepare data for those formats were also removed as a result. In general, any of our geodatabase formats are the intended replacements, but there is an article that compares FME readers and writers for SDE and Geodatabase. Sorry I don't have better news, Kailin.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Hello @nielsgerrits​ , the ArcSDEGridSnapper was deprecated with the old SDE format. Since we removed the format support, transformers that prepare data for those formats were also removed as a result. In general, any of our geodatabase formats are the intended replacements, but there is an article that compares FME readers and writers for SDE and Geodatabase. Sorry I don't have better news, Kailin.

Thanks for your reply @kailinatsafe​. I understand that the old Legacy SDE format is deprecated, but in my experience the not deprecated SDE format has the same behavior? (Geometry snapping to grid when inserted.) Then deprecating the ArcSDEGridSnapper feels not logical to me? Don't worry too much, I can live with the workaround, I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hey again @nielsgerrits​ , I think geometry needed to be prepared for the old format before writing (hence why we used the ArcSDEGridSnapper), whereas with ArcSDE Geodb formats, that preparation step shouldn't be neccessary/needed now.