Question

Generate PDF report with sections and charts

• 22 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +10

Hi,

I've been struggling to understand how to generate a pdf report without success.

I need to write sections with charts, logos and text in them similar to this based on 50 to 100 attributes:

pdf_reportI find it really tedious and complex to generate each section and I can't find any clarifying article or help. If I could use a PDF template it would be much easier but I can't find whether it's even possible. Bearing in mind the amount of attributes to process and show this will take forever.

I've been playing with some transformers like PDFPageFormatter, VertexCreator+TextAdder+PDFStyler and with ChartGenerator. I've managed to add some text but charts are shown with a black square.

Any advice on how to deal with all this?

Thank you.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hi @dms2​ 

Unfortunately, it's not possible to use a PDF template with the PDF writer--you may want to vote on this idea if you are interested in this functionality. In addition, you may also be interested in voting on this idea.

I think you're on the right path to creating a PDF using the transformers you have mentioned. It may be better to isolate whether the chart issues is an issue with the ChartGenerator or the PDF writer (eg. ChartGenerator output appear correct and issues occur when written to PDF).

I've also attached an example workspace which creates a simple report with charts and images in a grid style. I hope it helps.

Badge

Hi @dms2​ 

Unfortunately, it's not possible to use a PDF template with the PDF writer--you may want to vote on this idea if you are interested in this functionality. In addition, you may also be interested in voting on this idea.

I think you're on the right path to creating a PDF using the transformers you have mentioned. It may be better to isolate whether the chart issues is an issue with the ChartGenerator or the PDF writer (eg. ChartGenerator output appear correct and issues occur when written to PDF).

I've also attached an example workspace which creates a simple report with charts and images in a grid style. I hope it helps.

This is very helpful, @debbiatsafe​ . How about inserting map with a basemap (light gray looks great) into the pdf? Do you have a sample workspace?

Badge +8

Hi @debbiatsafe​ 

I am using FME Form 2022.2 and I wonder if it is still not possible to a PDF Template with the PDF writer?

Br,

Felipe Verdú

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hi @debbiatsafe​ 

I am using FME Form 2022.2 and I wonder if it is still not possible to a PDF Template with the PDF writer?

Br,

Felipe Verdú

Hello @felipeverdu​ 

Unfortunately, it is not possible to use a PDF template with the PDF writer.

One possible workaround is to create an input PDF with placeholder text or images. Use the PDF reader to read the input PDF into the workspace and replace the placeholder text and/or images with the content you wanted, and then use the PDF writer to create the output.