Question

Connections completely mixed up after open en closing bookmarks

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

I have a annoying problem. I have made a very large FME model with lots of bookmarks and connections. If i want to run the model with caching i get the message that i can't because its too large, that i can understand and if i close a few of my bookmarks it works. But the unpleasant consequence is that some bookmarks and transformers outside a bookmark are moved and now there is a jumble of connecting lines. Closing of opening the bookmarks again doesn't help. It's not that simple to move everything again to the right place. Am i the only one with this problem and is there a quick solution? Closing without saving is one but i have made al lot changes.

The image added is just a little piece...

Thx!

Nathalie

wirwar

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

No, this is really frustrating for me as well. It seems as soon as you edit something it all gets messed up. Usually I make sure to use the Undo function to get back to where I was before opening the bookmark.

If I need to make changes. I drag the bookmark far away from other transformers, edit it, then close it and move it back.

I think it's just a bug but I've been too lazy to report it. Either way, I feel your pain!

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

No, this is really frustrating for me as well. It seems as soon as you edit something it all gets messed up. Usually I make sure to use the Undo function to get back to where I was before opening the bookmark.

If I need to make changes. I drag the bookmark far away from other transformers, edit it, then close it and move it back.

I think it's just a bug but I've been too lazy to report it. Either way, I feel your pain!

I never ever use collapsed bookmarks because of exactly this issue

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

But without bookmarks i also can't close them to run with caching so i'm always losing :-(

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Does it actually not let you or does it just give you a warning. I get this warning too but not all are used so it doesn't end up being an issue

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Ah ok, i will try again when i'm ready untangle the connections

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @nath​ and everyone here!

Sorry to hear that you've run into this, when I use collapsed bookmarks I confess I do the same as what @virtualcitymatt​ described. The good news though is that we have an enhancement request for collapsible bookmarks causing shifted transformers tracked as (FMEDESKTOP-10049) and aimed for 2021, so it has been noticed and there's a plan for it. I've added this thread to the request so we'll be back to let you know when it's addressed (and maybe @ebygomm​ and I'm sure many others will finally be able to use collapsed bookmarks (: )

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Sorry to hear that you've run into this, when I use collapsed bookmarks I confess I do the same as what @virtualcitymatt​ described. The good news though is that we have an enhancement request for collapsible bookmarks causing shifted transformers tracked as (FMEDESKTOP-10049) and aimed for 2021, so it has been noticed and there's a plan for it. I've added this thread to the request so we'll be back to let you know when it's addressed (and maybe @ebygomm​ and I'm sure many others will finally be able to use collapsed bookmarks (: )

Excellent news. Good luck with the issue. It's a great feature but just not quite perfect.

Badge +2

Hi.

I'm still experiencing this behavior (shifted transformers) in FME 2022.0.0,\\. Build 22339. Are there any news on when this issue is going to be resolved?Shifted transformers and messy connections

Badge +6

Hi.

I'm still experiencing this behavior (shifted transformers) in FME 2022.0.0,\\. Build 22339. Are there any news on when this issue is going to be resolved?Shifted transformers and messy connections

Hi @torbjornd​, Unfortuably this is currently deferred as of now for a fix. Hopefully this fix will be delivered in a newer release soon. I've admittedly run into this issue as well a few times in the past and have resorted to what is describe above: moving the bookmark away from everything, opening, editing, and collapsing back.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi.

Hi @torbjornd​, just to add on to Jenna's answer, I've created an idea here that you can upvote and add your use case to help inform our product development team of this need. This idea is linked to our internally tracked enhancement and we'll update here when it has been addressed.