Solved

Data Download only outputting files from a single writer

• 28 September 2020
  • 15 replies

Badge +4

I am new to FME server and I have been trialing creating a few apps for people to use around my organisation.

One of the apps is a simple task where the user drags in an excel file and some analysis is done on it before a number of different files are written.

The first writer is an excel dataset that is fanned out based on one of the input fields, the second is a set of CSV's that just summarise a few duplicates that appear in the original dataset.

When running on FME desktop both files are created in the relevant folders and all appear to be complete. However when running the output zip file from the "Data Download" app only contains the outputs from the excel writer within the workspace.

Do I need to set something up within FME server to tell it to expect outputs from multiple writers?

I'm currently running FME server 2020.0

Thanks in advance for the help.

icon

Best answer by hollyatsafe 28 September 2020, 20:27

View original

15 replies

Badge +2

Hi @ponting13​ ,

When you register a workspace to the Data Download Service within the Publisher on FME Desktop there is an option to edit the service properties, and there is a parameter where you can specify what writers to include within the Download URL.

Please can you check that the parameter 'Include Writers in Download' contains both the CSV and EXCEL writers?

To check the service properties you can either go through the publishing wizard again or in the FME Server Web UI go to Workspaces > Manage Workspace > [Find workspace] > Actions > Edit Services and view the Data Download Service configuration.

If they are not both included, update the service and then test your workspace again. If the service looks correct, I'll suggest some next steps for troubleshooting.

Badge +4

Thanks! Thought it would be something really simple.

Badge

Hey there,

we are running FME Server 2021.1 and possibly since updating from 2019 version we are experiencing the problem that the output archive of a data download service only contains the last written file instead of all the files of the published writers. So, we made sure all writers are included in the service properties. Also, the logs show that features are written to all of the temporary files by the machine. However, the output zip-archive only contains the output file of the last executed writer. Hence, it seems to us that FME Server has a problem appending to the archive but instead replaces its contents.

@hollyatsafe​ You mentioned additional steps for troubleshooting. We would be glad to get some starting point for further analysis of this behavior. Or can you tell if there is a known issue with the 2021.1 version?

We appreciate every idea how to resolve the problem. Thanks in advance!

We have the same problem. Whem the output is zipped, only the one file is in the zip.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

We have the same problem. Whem the output is zipped, only the one file is in the zip.

Hi @elenotes​ ,

Were you able to test out Holly's solution above?

Thanks

Kezia

Hi @elenotes​ ,

Thanks

Kezia

Hi @keziaatsafe​ ,

Yes, I checked the parameter 'Include Writers in Download' in FME Server, and all the writers are listed.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi @elenotes​ ,

Thanks

Kezia

Hi @elenotes​ ,

Thanks for confirming. A couple more questions to dig deeper:

• What version of FME are you using? If you click "More" after the Include Writers in Download parameter, is there anything to note from the paths in zip file?

image.png

• What formats are you writing to? Which one is successful, and which ones are not?
  • Do you see any errors or warning messages in the job log? Are you able to share the job log here for me to take a look at?
  • What happens when you test the Data Streaming service? Does it output 1 single writer too?

Thanks

Kezia

Hi everyone,

Same problem here. I am trying to write both an .xlsx and a .html to a .zip file. However, only the .xlsx is being written. When I try to write two .xlsx files or only the .html file, it works fine. It seems that the combination of those two different file formats raises a problem..

Note: this problem only occurs on FME Server, on FME Desktop the writers are working fine. We are currently working with FME 2021.1.

Thanks,

Fleur

Badge +10

Hi everyone,

Same problem here. I am trying to write both an .xlsx and a .html to a .zip file. However, only the .xlsx is being written. When I try to write two .xlsx files or only the .html file, it works fine. It seems that the combination of those two different file formats raises a problem..

Note: this problem only occurs on FME Server, on FME Desktop the writers are working fine. We are currently working with FME 2021.1.

Thanks,

Fleur

Hi @fleuranna​ Thanks for letting us know. I can't, however, reproduce this issue in 2022 so it looks to be fixed. When you publish under the data download service in your 2021 if you expand the "Writers to include" with the ... --> "more" button and choose an additional folder in the "paths in zip file" for the excel does it help with these formats?

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Fleur

Hi,

As @fleuranna​ said, this problem only occurs on FME Server, on FME Desktop the writers are working fine.

Badge +10

Hi,

As @fleuranna​ said, this problem only occurs on FME Server, on FME Desktop the writers are working fine.

Hi @elenotes​  You bet, since the data download service is only available on FME Server that's where I tested. Please feel free to make a case if you are still having issues and we can work through it.

Hi @fleuranna​ Thanks for letting us know. I can't, however, reproduce this issue in 2022 so it looks to be fixed. When you publish under the data download service in your 2021 if you expand the "Writers to include" with the ... --> "more" button and choose an additional folder in the "paths in zip file" for the excel does it help with these formats?

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

I think that you did not read my comment fully, as I stated that the problem does not occur on FME Desktop (meaning that zipping both the .xlsx and the .pdf file works). The problem is that this workspace does not succeed to zip both files when running it on FME Server.

Note: I suppose that you first would request me to update to FME 2022, however we are still in the process of publishing al of our FME 2019 workspaces to FME Server (on which FME 2021 .1 is installed), so that is not what I can do at this moment.

Edit: I looked over your reply too fast. To answer your question, I did include all the paths required when publishing the download service.

Are you familiar with the stated problem?

Thanks!

Badge +10

Hi @fleuranna​ ,

I was understanding this issue as a datadownload service issue that is ONLY available on FME Server not FME Desktop. Since you mentioned it's working on Desktop then maybe we are talking about different things. I was assuming the data download was the process of zipping up the files. It would be great if you can file a case and we can have our team work with you on a solution.

Badge +2

Hi all, chiming in to say that I am having the same issue with the latest 2022.2 release.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi all, chiming in to say that I am having the same issue with the latest 2022.2 release.

Hi @Bo Guo​ ,

What OS are you using while experiencing this issue? Are you writing to CSV and Excel as well? Which format are you having trouble with? Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce the issue in our latest 2022.2.2 b22782 release. Would you mind sharing your workspace or job log for us to take a look at? If you prefer, please submit a case here.

Thanks,

Kezia