Solved

FME Server App - Error message?

• 1 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hi all,

I'm playing around with FME Server Apps and I'm trying to return errors when uploaded files may be invalid.

I used the Terminator transformer to set a custom error and can see in the Fail Status message in the job summary. But when the app hits the error I'm returned with 'We don't know what went wrong' .

Has anyone managed to return a proper error?

Cheers

icon

Best answer by hollyatsafe 2 September 2020, 18:27

View original

5 replies

Badge +2

Hi @virtualcitymatt​ ,

It is not currently possible to customise the error message returned by FME Server Apps when a job fails. I'd recommend posting a new Idea to request support for this.

One potential workaround (if you were previously using the Job Submitter Service) could be to register your workspace to run under the Data Streaming Service, then instead of the Terminator include an HTML Report Generator > HTML Writer to return a customised page that displays the failure message.

Note: If you did this I think you'd also need to set up a custom message for job success as well.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hi @virtualcitymatt​ ,

It is not currently possible to customise the error message returned by FME Server Apps when a job fails. I'd recommend posting a new Idea to request support for this.

One potential workaround (if you were previously using the Job Submitter Service) could be to register your workspace to run under the Data Streaming Service, then instead of the Terminator include an HTML Report Generator > HTML Writer to return a customised page that displays the failure message.

Note: If you did this I think you'd also need to set up a custom message for job success as well.

Thanks fornthe answer @hollyatsafe​ ,

​I was running a Data Streaming service already so I just sent the errors to the same textline writer.

No error in the Job Summary but it is good enough for now. I will create an idea for sure. ​

Badge +8

@virtualcitymatt​ and @hollyatsafe​, I was wondering if this is already implemented in the mean time. If it is not implemented, is it possible to create a work-aroud when using a job submitter?

Edit: in the mean time I found the idea, but I didn't find a work-around yet. Any suggestions?

Badge +2

@virtualcitymatt​ and @hollyatsafe​, I was wondering if this is already implemented in the mean time. If it is not implemented, is it possible to create a work-aroud when using a job submitter?

Edit: in the mean time I found the idea, but I didn't find a work-around yet. Any suggestions?

Hi @koenterralytics​ ,

If you select 'Expand Post' on my original answer you'll find my suggested workaround there. I think this is still the best option I can come up with. Let me know if you had any questions about setting that up.

Badge +8

Hi @koenterralytics​ ,

If you select 'Expand Post' on my original answer you'll find my suggested workaround there. I think this is still the best option I can come up with. Let me know if you had any questions about setting that up.

@hollyatsafe​ , thanks for your reply. This workaround was ok for now, but it would be handy if it is possible to return the (terminator) log immediately. This would save some time in setting up HTML-reports.