Solved

ShortestPathFinder & offroad shortcuts

• 17 August 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge +4

Hello there, Im using the Shortest path finder transformer to analyse best routes from A 's to B's where the network is a road system. There is however a bit of flexibility in my project where the route could sometimes go "offroad" to skip going long detours. So i used my MS Paint superskills to explain what I mean.

route

Lets say that the black lines in the road system (network) and the yellow line represent the best result from ShortestPathFinder for getting from A to B. But it needs to take that tedious detour to west and then east again and i would want to allow it to take the green dotted detour instead (marked X), even if there is no road present there.

Pretty sure that the ShortestPathFinder does not have that option so I was wondering if anyone here has a suggestion how to solve this? And then in a way that you can set a snapping tolerance requirement for shortcuts (for example has to be max 10m a part for it to be allowed) or it wont happen. And in a way you can process multiple routes for multiple destinations at a time (my feature set has best routes for about 40K A's to about 10K B's).

How about it?

icon

Best answer by markatsafe 18 August 2020, 18:30

View original

8 replies

Badge +9

Hello @hlynur is there a physical line at x in the dataset or is it just a gap?

Badge +4

Heyhey! There is just a gap :/

Badge +9

Heyhey! There is just a gap :/

Do you have some sample data you could share?

Badge +4

Heyhey again, yubb, take a look at this shapefile, you easily see where it needs to take a detour west-east from the main-route from northeast to southwest. (as there is no road connection there).

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

I think you'd have to introduce these links into the network first in order to use them. I'm not sure how you'd achieve this automatically with a typical road network. Just because two roads are close by, doesn't mean you can traverse between them. I'm struggling to understand how you decide that the green detour is allowed - there could be any number of obstacles which mean that you cannot avoid the detour - rivers/buildings/one way systems etc.

Badge +4

Yubb, thanks for the input @ebygomm​ and that's my personal thought aswell, you are opening up to even more chaos by doing this. But that's what the client asked for so I just try to do my best to get what he wants 💁

Badge +2

@hlynur You could try creating the short-cuts using the NeighborFinder. Use Chopper to get the vertices on the line (Max. Vertices = 1) and then NeighborFinder to find closest points. Plus a bit of filtering to cleanup. It might work better on a street network rather the a single route (in the example you supplied the route duplicates itself which was confusing).

I've attached an example workspace (2020.1) - hopefully give you some ideas.

Badge +4

Hey @Mark Stoakes​ ! Thanks for this, will try it out.