Question

Reading WFS: Internal geometry building errors

• 9 January 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge

We try to read data from a WFS (see attached FME workspace) and get the following error messages:

xfMap registered 168 messages of type: 'xml-multi-area' Geometry Builder: No geometry was created in the 'xml-multi-area' builder

xfMap registered 168 messages of type: Error constructing geometry for feature, the feature will be tagged with the xml_geom_error boolean attribute

What is the reason why the FME-internal 'xml-multi-area' Geometry Builder doesn't create area geometries in some cases (here: 168 out of 2000) even though all the read geometries from the WFS pass all checks of the GeometryValidator (except one case with self-intersection).

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
    Badge +17

Hi @pramisters

I believe FME creates geometries for all passed features. When you run the workspace, you will see 1999 features going to the passed port of the GeometryValidator and 1 feature going to the failed port. In addition, if you attach an Inspector to the passed port, you would see 1999 features within Data Inspector. I would guess that 168 messages refer to elements of the single failed feature (possibly vertices?) and not 168 features out of 2000.

Kind regards,

Debbi

Badge

Hi @pramisters

I believe FME creates geometries for all passed features. When you run the workspace, you will see 1999 features going to the passed port of the GeometryValidator and 1 feature going to the failed port. In addition, if you attach an Inspector to the passed port, you would see 1999 features within Data Inspector. I would guess that 168 messages refer to elements of the single failed feature (possibly vertices?) and not 168 features out of 2000.

Kind regards,

Debbi

Hi @DebbiAtSafe

Thanks for your feeback!

I found out that for the ?168 features the WFS doesn't supply a geometry. So FME is right when it says that it can't create a geometry for these features.

Somehow misleading is the fact that these features pass the GeometryValidator although they have no geometry.

Best regards,

pramisters