Question

Basic clipping rasters from vectors

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this clipping operation? I am trying to clip a jp2 raster image from a county border(vector image). I created a buffer around the county border and used that as the clipper and used the jp2 as the clippee. I'm not really sure how to use the inside/outside part but I had the outside sent to the final writer output which I have as a png here. I did the same thing with a jp2 and it did not clip the image correctly. Any idea what I could be doing wrong here? I have attached my model. Thanks!

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

If you want the part of the JP2 inside the country border you need the INSIDE port connected to the writer.

Thanks @erik_jan! I had tried that before but it keeps not processing when I have the inside set because it gives me this error when ran.

Clipper_SolidClipperFilter(TestFactory): Tested 1 input feature(s) -- 0 feature(s) passed and 1 feature(s) failed

Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Are both datasets (country border line and JP2 raster) in the same coordinate system?

If not, you need to reproject one (or both) to get them in the same coordinate system.

You can use the Reprojector transformer to do that.

To check the coordinate system information you can load both datasets in the Data Inspector tool.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

A good explanation of using the Clipper on raster data is found here:

raster_clipping

clipping2.fmw@erik_jan

Thanks for all this information, I greatly appreciate your help! This is what I was looking for earlier. I reprojected both datasets and used the inside and it ran however still not getting the output I would like with it clipped. Any idea if changing the parameters would make a difference? Like changing the clipper type maybe? I have attached what I have right now. Any help is appreciated!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +16
clipping2.fmw@erik_jan

Thanks for all this information, I greatly appreciate your help! This is what I was looking for earlier. I reprojected both datasets and used the inside and it ran however still not getting the output I would like with it clipped. Any idea if changing the parameters would make a difference? Like changing the clipper type maybe? I have attached what I have right now. Any help is appreciated!!

I can not yet download the fmw. I am asking Safe for help on that and will try to answer as soon as possible.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16
clipping2.fmw@erik_jan

Could you send me the fmw at Erik.Bodewitz@Spatilabiz.com

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I cannot find any wrong thing in your workspace. If you inspect the Clipper polygons and the raster with FME Data Inspector, do they overlap definitely?

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

I cannot find any wrong thing in your workspace. If you inspect the Clipper polygons and the raster with FME Data Inspector, do they overlap definitely?

@takashi How did you manage to see the workspace? I can not download the fmw!

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

@takashi How did you manage to see the workspace? I can not download the fmw!

@erik_jan, try Right-click > Save As. I'm using Chrome.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

@erik_jan, try Right-click > Save As. I'm using Chrome.

After installing Chrome I can see the file. Seems to be a MS Edge issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

@diggs12 As I replied in the mail, I think it is the GeometricBufferer. Could you replace that with a Bufferer transformer?