Question

Geometry writing issue

Badge +1

Hello. I am using FME 2018. So, I have created a workbench that generates polygons as output. But, some outputs that are generated are polylines and not polygons.

Now, if I edit the polylines(in ArcMAP) that are made, it becomes polygon. I don't know if its a bug or something with PointOnAreaOverlayer.

Any solutions for this? I have attached the inputs and wb.

Thanks

11 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
I was not able find any point feature class in your attached gdb dataset. Could you please check if the dataset contains both point and area feature classes?

Badge +1
I was not able find any point feature class in your attached gdb dataset. Could you please check if the dataset contains both point and area feature classes?

Hi Takashi, Thank you for having a look. IHere is the data.

racsa-analysis-test-aa8-kopenhahen-flagwisegdb.zip

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @hellblazer, thanks for sharing the sample data. I recreated your workspace and run, but was not able to reproduce the issue you have described - "some outputs that are generated are polylines and not polygons."

filegdb2filegdb.fmwt (FME 2018.0.1.0)

Badge +1

Hi @takashi. I have shared the screenshot of my output. Our output geometry is polygon, but the some of the polygons are generated as lines. Please have a look.polygonissueoutput.jpg

I tried your workbench and I can see the same issue in the results.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @takashi. I have shared the screenshot of my output. Our output geometry is polygon, but the some of the polygons are generated as lines. Please have a look.polygonissueoutput.jpg

Those "line" features were output from the Line port of the GeometryFilter in my workspace?What geometry class (IFME***) is shown on the Feature Informationi windon in FME Data Inspector, when you select a "line" feature?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Found the reason?

The line-like polygons are multi-part polygons each of which consists of two or more duplicate areas, and the situation has been caused by that there are many duplicate polygons in the source dataset. Try testing the source dataset with the Matcher (Match Geometry: 2D).

You will have to remove duplicates from the source polygons at first (but keep required attributes) if you don't like the line-like polygons.

In addition, it would be recommended to use the File Geodb Reader/Writer (using ArcObjects) rather than the File Geodb Open API Reader/Writer, if you have ArcGIS license installed in your machine.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
@hellblazer @takashi The FILEGDB writer was just recently fixed in FME 2018.1 betas so that aggregates of matching polygons are now correctly written out as aggregates, and not as donuts. https://www.safe.com/support/support-resources/fme-downloads/beta/
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Found the reason?

The line-like polygons are multi-part polygons each of which consists of two or more duplicate areas, and the situation has been caused by that there are many duplicate polygons in the source dataset. Try testing the source dataset with the Matcher (Match Geometry: 2D).

You will have to remove duplicates from the source polygons at first (but keep required attributes) if you don't like the line-like polygons.

In addition, it would be recommended to use the File Geodb Reader/Writer (using ArcObjects) rather than the File Geodb Open API Reader/Writer, if you have ArcGIS license installed in your machine.

@hellblazer @takashi The FILEGDB writer was just recently fixed in FME 2018.1 betas so that aggregates of matching polygons are now correctly written out as aggregates, and not as donuts. https://www.safe.com/support/support-resources/fme-downloads/beta/
Badge +1
Hi @DanAtSafe Thanks for the update. Can we get the correct output with FME 2017 as well?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi @DanAtSafe Thanks for the update. Can we get the correct output with FME 2017 as well?

@hellblazer With FME 2017 you'll have to use the GEODATABASE_FILE writer or else remove duplicates before aggregating as @takashi suggested. With FILEGDB in 2017, any pairs of duplicate elements in an aggregate get written as a donut polygon with 0 area because one polygon becomes the inner shell.
Badge +1

Hi @DanAtSafe and @takashi Thank you for your feedback. I am trying to work on 2018.1, but the issue is still the same when I am running the workbench. I have shared the data here. Is the result as per required?

Also, I am now shifted to ESRI edition license, but still not able to select GEDATABASE_FILE writer. Could you please provide some support on that. Also, the duplicate polygons are required in the input data.

Thanks