Question

Inspector in FME2019 is not functioning like FME2018 and this functionality should be put back

• 16 April 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge

In FME2018 if a Workspace runner ran, then any inspectors would be shown in the Data Inspector. Here is an example of the FME2018 display where the Runner launches 3 target workspaces:

The last tab presents the Workspace Runner's inspectors:

In FME 2019, only the Workspace Runner inspectors generate a Data Inspector view:

We use the Data Inspector views generated by target workspaces to spot check that objects at least lie within certain borders (e.g., county). I never realized the utility of this until it was gone.

In the 2019 parcel runner. Below are more screen prints and log outputs.

Cheers,

Pete

P.S. Dale saw this at the World Tour and told me to write it up...

4 replies

Badge +8

Hi @pvaziri, Just want to confirm that I was able to see the different behavior that you explain but only when I create a workspace in FME 2019.0. Using older workspace (2017 or 2018) continue working as expected. But if you can submit https://www.safe.com/support/report-a-problem/ along with your sample workspace (Master one) and we will investigate this further.

Badge

Hi @rahulsharma. The sequence of my test is:

On 2018 box:

• Run Workspace Runner created in FME 2018 calling Target Workspace created in 2018.
  • FME 2019 not installed on that machine. Works as expected with multiple Data Inspector vies.

Copy over 2018 fmws and file geodatabase data sources to FME 2019 box (FME 2018 not installed)

• Workspace Runner and Target fmws created in 2018 are loaded into FME 2019 Workbench
  • After running, only Workspace Runner inspectors are displayed.
  • Workspaces have ever been saved as FME 2019 workspaces.

No demands are made to save as a FME 2019 workspace so I didn't do so.

I'll try and save those workspaces as FME 2019 workbenches and give it a go.

Thanks,

Pete

Badge

Hi @pvaziri, Just want to confirm that I was able to see the different behavior that you explain but only when I create a workspace in FME 2019.0. Using older workspace (2017 or 2018) continue working as expected. But if you can submit https://www.safe.com/support/report-a-problem/ along with your sample workspace (Master one) and we will investigate this further.

OK, I'll do that. I've been in touch with Dan Iseminger and there is a support ticket #C144331 - Inspectors.

I tried copying transformers into a blank workspace for runner and target and that doesn't fix anything. I'm trying things willy nilly but I can't make any headway.

This is a behaviour that should carry over to 2019 as it has done in the past...

Thanks again for your feedback,

Pete

Badge

Saved_as_2019_target.fmwUnsaved_2018 target.fmwTo piggyback on what @rahulsharma found, in 2019, an unsaved 2018 runner/target workspace is run in 2019, the Data Inspector behaviour is almost like what occurs in 2018 (3 views for 3 target instance). The workspace runner inspector results are sent to another Data Inspector window, but that amounts as a small tick.

If I save the same workspace runner as a 2019 vintage, then it also works as above.

If I save the target workspace as a 2019 vintage, then that is when 2019 gets stingy,

So, it turns out the target workspace saved as a 2019 workspace, not the runner workspace saved as a 2019 runner workspace is the source of the issue...

Attached are a 2018 unsaved target fmw and the same 2019 incarnation (after saving in FME2019).

Best,

Pete