Solved

Generic Writer (File GDB)

• 10 February 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +14

I'm working on a project for FME Server where a user will be able to pass variables into a URL and get a download of a dataset. One of the requirements that I'm hitting a snag on is how to create a parameter that can be used to name the output file (geodatabase, pdf, or shapefile). Right now it's defaulting to dataset.gdb.

TIA,

David

icon

Best answer by ciarab 13 February 2017, 00:02

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

In general the Generic writer takes the parameters of any writer for that output format in the workspace.

So create a dummy writer for the GDB output (without a fetaure type to write to) and the Generic writer will inherit the parameters from that writer if the GDB format for the Generic writer is chosen.

Badge +9

@runneals If you create a published parameter just a simple text field and then link this parameter to the output destination like below

Now when you publish you can allow the end user to select the output file name

Or if you didnt want the end user to select you can still create a filename from this location with a timestamp or other required information

Badge +14

@runneals If you create a published parameter just a simple text field and then link this parameter to the output destination like below

Now when you publish you can allow the end user to select the output file name

Or if you didnt want the end user to select you can still create a filename from this location with a timestamp or other required information

Doh! Thanks for the help, I didn't notice that until now.