Question

geodatabase API writer geometry

Badge

Hi all,

During a translation process, I am writing some curved lines to a file geodatabase using the 'Esri File Geodatabase Open API' writer (the red lines in the screenshot). When inspecting the outcome, I noticed that the shape of the lines have changed. The lines were slightly moved and/or changed shape completely.

When writing the same to (for example) a shapefile, I don't have this issue.

Note that this is already occurring on a large scale: the red line in the screenshot is the distance of 0.0002 units.

Is this a known issue? Or am I missing something else here?

5 replies

Userlevel 5

This is in the FME data inspector, right? Have you tried inspecting the objects in any other software, such as ArcGIS or QGIS?

Badge +10

I can think of a number of things that happened here:

- The most logical (to me) would be the resolution/tolerence settings of your feature class. The screenshot shows a very large scale and this kind of 'minor' flaw can happen than.

- Another thing I would be thinking of is a reprojection 'error', but I do not know whether you have done such an action.

- A third possibility I can think of is writing a different kind of arc then originally is being read.

Hope this helps you in finding the source of your problems.

Badge

I can think of a number of things that happened here:

- The most logical (to me) would be the resolution/tolerence settings of your feature class. The screenshot shows a very large scale and this kind of 'minor' flaw can happen than.

- Another thing I would be thinking of is a reprojection 'error', but I do not know whether you have done such an action.

- A third possibility I can think of is writing a different kind of arc then originally is being read.

Hope this helps you in finding the source of your problems.

Thanks for your answer!

- The tolerance settings in the writer were changed between 0.001 and 0.0000001) but the I had the exact same result.

- There is no reprojection. In fact, just connecting the reader with the geodatabase writer is already enough to create this issue.

- Writing a different kind of arc? I can only select geodb_polyline in my writer?

Badge

This is in the FME data inspector, right? Have you tried inspecting the objects in any other software, such as ArcGIS or QGIS?

Good suggestion! But in QGIS it shows the same thing... :)

Userlevel 5

Does your input have curves? Is it possible that your curves are stroked somewhere along the way? Send both the input and output geometry to the FME data inspector, click on each of them and inspect the geometry details in the right hand pane. Are they identical?

Also consider saving a single input and output feature to FFS and post it here for analysis.