Question

Extrude edges, surface

Badge +7

Hello,

Is there a good approach to extrude only outer edges from top image? Images below extrudes all faces (internal as well) but am only interested in extruding (external faces). Basically thinking of top image as a building roof, altough it's a terrain and extruding to "walls". On the lowest image I used PlanarityFilter to try filter faces at bottom but doesn't feel like a good approach.

Thanks.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @kidega, hopefully the BRepSolidBoundaryCreator.Beta custom transformer from FME Hub could be a solution. This transformer creates side-wall and bottom surfaces for an input surface.

Example

Badge +7

Hi @takashi,

Thanks for your suggestion of using the custom transformer BRepSolidBoundaryCreator.Beta. I tried it on some basic surfaces and it works fine. Depending on the source surface it sometimes doesn't seem to go all way. I tried to continue on filtering from original extrusion of the terrain model and got some results. The workflow also takes help of custom transformer SurfaceNormalExtractor from the Hub to filter on surface normals, https://hub.safe.com/publishers/safe-lab/transformers/surfacenormalextractor

For some reason I had to expose the attributes for surface normals in the custom transformer for the Output but then it seem to work. Not sure if I missed something there.

Sharing the workflow. It probably could be optimized.

Badge +7

Updated workflow which will extract terrain elevation faces downwards and optimize polygons using NeighborhoodAggregator and MeshSimplifier.