FME Weekly Quiz: Round 2 Answers and Results

• 22 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi FME'ers,

Here are the answers and results to yesterday's quiz:

Answers

1) Which of these transformers has a Stiffness parameter?

• Displacer
  • HullAccumulator
  • SpikeRemover
  • RubberSheeter
  • EggBeater

The answer is the Displacer transformer. This transformer is useful for moving features apart that are too close to each other (usually for cartographic purposes). The stiffness parameter controls how much a feature can be deformed in moving it.

Give yourself 3 imaginary bonus points (ibp) if you knew the answer already, 2 ibp if you figured it out from what the transformers do, and 1 ibp if you typed stiffness into Quick Add and pressed tab (great tactic).

You get no ibp if you went through each transformer to check!

2) The FME Mobile App that connects to FME Server is called...

• FME Server Express
  • FME Data Express
  • FME Mobile Express
  • FME Workbench Express
  • FME Vande Bharat Express

It's the FME Data Express. It's intended to allow mobile access to Server, with some data collection capabilities too. It's available on both the Apple App Store, and the Google Play Store.

You could even run the weekly quiz app on there!

Find it via: https://www.safe.com/fme/mobile/fme-data-express/

Oh, the Vande Bharat Express is an Indian express train that runs the Delhi-Varanasi route.

3) FME has two special characters promoting us, the FME Lizard and a robot. What is the robot's name?

• Shapey
  • Socks
  • Interoperobot
  • Zipster
  • FME McFMEFace

It's the Zipster, so named because he was introduced when FME started to support reading and writing datasets contained in zip files. It's a good job we didn't concentrate on Unix else he would have been the Tarster!

Here's the classic splashscreen in which Zipster was introduced.

By the way, both he and the FME Lizard have their own Twitter feeds!

4) Which type of organization is most likely to use AIXM format data?

• Airport
  • Hospital
  • Local Government Department
  • National Park
  • Circus

AIXM stands for Aeronautical Information Exchange Model. It's an XML-based common information model that enables the management and distribution of Aeronautical Information Services (AIS) data. I suppose anyone *could* use this data format, but the most likely would be an airport.

In case you are interested, here are links to two presentations about FME and AIXM: Firstly Nav Canada at the FME World Tour 2018, and secondly Sweco at the FME User Conference in 2017.

Hmmm. I suppose neither of these are airports when you think about it!

5) The default Python Interpreter that FME uses can be defined as an FME Option. Which category of options does it come under?

• Workbench
  • Translation
  • Workspace Defaults
  • Default Paths
  • Coordinate Systems

Look under Tools > FME Options in Workbench and all of those choices appear as categories. However... the Python Interpreter option is found under the Translation category.

The option allows you to decide which version of Python is used by your translations. You can pick from a range of options, or select your own custom interpreter. fyi, Python 2.7 is still - optionally - supported, but we recommend you avoid it for all new work and modify existing workspaces that use it. It's an outdated version that will very soon be deprecated.

6) The giveaway for the FME World Tour was an FME coin. Which of these stories about the FME Coin isn't true?

• An FME coin travelled as far north as 70 degrees of latitude
  • A lost FME coin was discovered buried in a field by a metal detectorist
  • An FME coin was turned into a fishing lure and used successfully to catch trout
  • One FME coin was carried to the top of the highest mountain in North Africa
  • One FME coin cost its owner a large vet's bill, when their dog swallowed it

The FME Coin was both shiny enough to be desirable, and small enough to be portable. It was carried to the far north and up mountains. It lured fish and was lost by one foolish user, to be found by a metal detectorist.

However, as far as I know it was never eaten by a family pet! So that's your correct answer.

Scores

Let's see... I must have made this harder this week, because there is only one perfect score! Congratulations to @srg - the only person to score 6/6.

The average score went down a bit from 4.5 to 4.4 too (thank you StatisticsCalculator), although no-one scored 1 or 2 this week:

1. -
  2. -
  3. @totobobiasos @kasparlov @pat_uow
  4. @larry @sigtill @pushpa @aurelienchaumet @drc43
  5. @rsleo @milo89 @abizien @david_r @jdh @itay @jonas_nelson @warrengis
  6. @srg

The top scores after two weeks are:

The easiest questions this week were #3 and #4. Literally everyone (100%) knew Zipster's name and also that AIXM is an aeronautical format.

The hardest question was #6. Only 4 people (23%) knew that a pet had not eaten an FME Coin! The most common wrong answer was that it had not been carried to the top of the highest mountain in North Africa.

Au contraire...

Again, I hope you're finding this fun (and maybe a little bit educational?) and I'll be back with another quiz next week.

Mark

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

I feel bad that someone managed to turn their coin into a lure and mine is probably just sitting on my desk somewhere.

Thanks Mark, definitely a bit of fun and I found it to be educational even for some trivia.

Badge +16

definitely fun and educational, keep them coming!