Question

Create a 3D polygon and flat from dimensions

• 25 September 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +10

Given the height, length and width of an underground vault, I'd like to create a 3D box of the vault. I'd also like to create a flattened box out of the same dimensions.

I've started out with a creator, cloner and a 2dBox replacer then a 3D extruder for the box. I'm a bit lost with the flattening of the box in a 2d plane. Any suggestions on how to get the bottom corners of boxes 1,2,3, & 4 align with the corners of box 5?

The bigger challenge is how to project this so I can draw this in a DWG file later in my translation. I have a lat/long as the center of each vault and I could probably start at zed value of 0 initially.

me dimensions.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @salvaleonrp, if I understand your requirement correctly, this workflow might help you.

Result (5 rectangular polygons): L = 48, W = 24, H = 36

Badge +10

@takashi, thanks. What's the parameters on your Intersector? I'm getting the right results from the 2Dboxes but when they come out of the intersector the nodes are the corners of the aggregate of the two boxes - its hard to tell but the nodes are there.

Here's a screenshot of my workspace.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

@takashi, thanks. What's the parameters on your Intersector? I'm getting the right results from the 2Dboxes but when they come out of the intersector the nodes are the corners of the aggregate of the two boxes - its hard to tell but the nodes are there.

Here's a screenshot of my workspace.

All the parameters of Intersector are left default.

My intention is to just create the five "flattened" rectangles from the two crossed rectangles. Any wall from the solid won't be used in this approach

Try connecting an AreaBuilder to the Intersected port.

Badge +10
All the parameters of Intersector are left default.

My intention is to just create the five "flattened" rectangles from the two crossed rectangles. Any wall from the solid won't be used in this approach

Try connecting an AreaBuilder to the Intersected port.

Agree. I recreated your workspace and it worked as suggested. I'm also creating it from dimensions but in my case it looks like there's some overlapping and scaling that's happening for each box and their points of origins are not the same. Thanks for the logic its definitely going to help me.