Solved

View calls from HTTPCaller in Fiddler over SSL

• 30 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I'm troubleshooting an error I'm getting back from an HTPCaller response and would like to view the transactions in Fiddler. I am having trouble routing the traffic through the Fiddler proxy though.

Does anyone see what I'm missing?

FME Settings:

Fiddler Settings:

I also installed and trusted the Fiddler root certificate and added loopback exemptions for the running AppContainers.

Results from the reject port of HTTPCaller:

(ps1) I should add that the HTTPCaller is using NTLM authentication in case that matters. I think the the FME Proxy settings should be fine with no auth, as none is set on the proxy itself (Fiddler), but have also tried with credentials in case they were passing through to the caller.

Thanks!

Corey

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 1 December 2017, 00:46

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @rqf4v9,

If you turn on the Debug logging withing FME you will get more information about the HTTPCaller and where the requests are going or if they are getting directly routed through your proxy. (This is true for 2017 at least). Tools>FME Options>Translation>Check on 'Log Debug'

The custom proxy map should probably be avoided. The custom proxy map works by directing specific requests to that proxy. In your case your request is being mapped to the same address as it's being mapped to. A better test might be to redirect requests to https://www.example.com to 127.0.0.1:8888

The 'System Proxy settings' are set in Internet Options (Windows Setting).

If you are running with NTLM authentication on the proxy then you shouldn't need so have the proxy set - I don't think (No Proxy). Windows will likely take over although I'm not sure if it would in all cases.

Turning on debug will help to check the proxy stuff. Hopefully this helps you for Fiddler

Hi @rqf4v9,

If you turn on the Debug logging withing FME you will get more information about the HTTPCaller and where the requests are going or if they are getting directly routed through your proxy. (This is true for 2017 at least). Tools>FME Options>Translation>Check on 'Log Debug'

The custom proxy map should probably be avoided. The custom proxy map works by directing specific requests to that proxy. In your case your request is being mapped to the same address as it's being mapped to. A better test might be to redirect requests to https://www.example.com to 127.0.0.1:8888

The 'System Proxy settings' are set in Internet Options (Windows Setting).

If you are running with NTLM authentication on the proxy then you shouldn't need so have the proxy set - I don't think (No Proxy). Windows will likely take over although I'm not sure if it would in all cases.

Turning on debug will help to check the proxy stuff. Hopefully this helps you for Fiddler

Thanks for the clarification on the Proxy Map. I think the problem lies with Fiddler not passing the credentials through the proxy to the host now. I will follow up with them. Thanks.

Badge +3

I know this is an old post, but I just had a need to do a trace as well for a support ticket with Microsoft (troubleshooting an issue with Graph API and MS Teams) and this thread helped me get Fiddler to work. You need to specify the machine name in the proxy URL instead of "localhost" or "127.0.0.1". More info. here. Thanks for posting about this! :)