Question

Error using TopologyBuilder: Polygon feature must have at least 4 coordinates...rejecting

• 4 December 2015
  • 3 replies

I'm trying to make a postal code map of the Netherlands. Herefore I would love to use FME's TopologyBuilder. I have my entire workflow in FME and it is the following:

I build up my polygons entirely out of lines and points in FME and end up getting the same error message: Polygon feature must have at least 4 coordinates...rejecting. I already read the old threat about this error and it gave no resoluition to my problem. The complete summary of the process is stated below the question. I hope someone can help me solve this error.

regards, Bart

TopologyBuilder_NODE Feature Counter -1 24(TeeFactory): Cloned 5291 input feature(s) into 5291 output feature(s)

Destination Feature Type Routing Correlator(RoutingFactory): Tested 9127 input feature(s), wrote 9127 output feature(s): 0 matched merge filters, 9127 were routed to output, 0 could not be routed.

Final Output Nuker(TeeFactory): Cloned 0 input feature(s) into 0 output feature(s)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

'GlobalVariable' Final State Summary

==============================================================================

Total Number of Global Variables: 0

Feature output statistics for `FFS' writer using keyword `W_1':

Features Written

Total Features Written 0

Rejected 5291 output features

Feature output statistics for `SHAPE' writer using keyword `SHAPE_5':

Features Written

Adressen (Adressen) 9127

Total Features Written 9127

Features Read Summary

Adressen 15000

Clipwegline 1903

Total Features Read 16903

Features Written Summary

Adressen 9127

Total Features Written 9127

Translation was SUCCESSFUL with 10586 warning(s) (9127 feature(s) output)

Stored 200 feature(s) to FME feature store file `C:\\Users\\bart-\\Desktop\\Stage\\FMEPROJECT_log.ffs'

Suppressed logging of 5091 feature(s)

Suppressed recording of 5091 feature(s)

FME Session Duration: 8.8 seconds. (CPU: 8.3s user, 0.4s system)

END - ProcessID: 11200, peak process memory usage: 169200 kB, current process memory usage: 87572 kB

Translation was SUCCESSFUL

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi Bart, I think we'd need get ahold of the source data and workspace and run things at Safe to see what is going on. But before you get in touch with support@safe.com, I'd strongly advise trying this workspace with FME 2016 beta - you can get it from the FME beta download page. We've done a massive robustness update on the topology subsystem and so there is an excellent chance the problem is now resolved. (and if it isn't, it woudl be a great time to find out so we could continue our efforts in this area).

@daleatsafe Thanks for the quick response. I just downloaded the beta and ran the workspace again but I got the same error. I will get in touch with the support.

Badge +3

@bartw

Hi,

This is a common problem. I encounter this when building area objects from line objects.

If youre Dutch when building BGT from BKL Autocads. (villages cities etc.) Wich i do often.

The Autocad drawings or in your case the clipweglijn gml are topologicaly not sound.

The AreaOnArea overlayer (Clipper does this also) is the source.

Depending on the input objects, after areabuilding and after AreaonArea, it creates 0-area polygons. These look like lines or points but are areas. This causes area objects with 2 or 3 verices to be created. If you check them in the feature information window you can see this.

Dissolver, spatialrelator, spatialfilter and TopologyBuilder cant handle these. This causes an error (the error u posted) and stops the process.

In your work space you can reduces the creation of these objects by using a snapper, extender inetersector combo.

I see you do no such thing and seem to assume the drawing is perfect....wereas i have yet to see a BKL Autocad file wich is perfect.

What i do is filter out all zero area objects (area calculator and a tester) that are left before sending them to a Dissolver, Spatialrelator or Spatialfilter.

This is very annoying, because even if you do this and check topology again of the created area, these objects will reappear.

I think the only solution is to try and move the vertices of these objects into a "touching area" thereby increasin its area to >0.

(apart from manual labor, wich i abhor...)

As you cannot use a SpatialRelator or Filter, you can only use a neighbour finder to do this, and with a extremely small distance...like last possible digit after the comma.

I also think this problem should be adressed by Safe b.t.w.

I tried to upload a pic, but the function does not budge??