Solved

There was a problem communicating with the REST API

• 26 July 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi,

we havw installed the FME Server just before few weeks, so we are beginners. I published the workspace into the fme Server and wanted to run the workspace. After directing to correct Respository, workspace and Service Download, I added a Published Parameters: Source- from My Folders in PC-per Temporary Uploads, (Adressen). I could also run a workspace, but anything happend, and after some time this "Information" appears.

I am not sure what to do, in this case. How or if to do something?

icon

Best answer by david_r 26 July 2019, 10:36

View original

4 replies

Badge

HI,

just noticed, could it be our connection to our Server? Just some communication error?

Userlevel 4

In my experience this is usually due to some issue with the FME Server services, often related to insufficient rights.

Some things to check for:

• Check the FME Server system logs for errors or warnings
  • If the FME Server engines are running as a domain user, make sure the domain user has sufficient rights to all the directories referenced during the installation
  • If you didn't install FME Server as the same user that is running the services, make sure that the service user has sufficient rights in the FME Server app + shared folder structures

For more tips, look here: https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/540/fme-server-troubleshooting-guide.html

Badge +10

Hi @david_r​ 

The orange "There was a problem communicating with the REST API" popup appears in FME Server on several locations in the Web Interface and I agree most of the time it's related to permissions, that's why I always give the FME Service Account full access to the FME Server Shared Resources location and most of the time to the installation path too because of Tomcat access too. It's also related to the service url, I know.

But beside of the permissions and Network Services it now shows up in Automations and that's a new one for me.

One of our customers is starting with Automations (FME Server 2020.1.01), building a new automation and saving it for the 1st time, the popup appears.

Looking in the browsers Development Tool in the Network tab there's a Get request when saving and copying the url in the browser gives a json response.

The automation has been saved and when reopening, editing and saving it there's no error anymore.

Any idea why this happens and do you know the relationship between FME Server Automations (1st save) and the Rest Api and where I can find logging at the time it occurs?

Kind regards,

Krien Guijt

Userlevel 4

Hi @david_r​ 

The orange "There was a problem communicating with the REST API" popup appears in FME Server on several locations in the Web Interface and I agree most of the time it's related to permissions, that's why I always give the FME Service Account full access to the FME Server Shared Resources location and most of the time to the installation path too because of Tomcat access too. It's also related to the service url, I know.

But beside of the permissions and Network Services it now shows up in Automations and that's a new one for me.

One of our customers is starting with Automations (FME Server 2020.1.01), building a new automation and saving it for the 1st time, the popup appears.

Looking in the browsers Development Tool in the Network tab there's a Get request when saving and copying the url in the browser gives a json response.

The automation has been saved and when reopening, editing and saving it there's no error anymore.

Any idea why this happens and do you know the relationship between FME Server Automations (1st save) and the Rest Api and where I can find logging at the time it occurs?

Kind regards,

Krien Guijt

Difficult to say, could be related to the installation and/or permissions. If you can't find the solution, I think the best way of going forward is to either discuss it with your local FME partner, or with Safe support.