Question

Writing to Smallworld with FME Server locks alternative

• 13 February 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello,

I'm using FME Server to write data to Smallworld. This works very fine but I encounter a problem.

The alternative I'm writing to gets locked by the FME Server user (in the screenshot this user is ). Once the data is written, the alternative can't be accessed in write modus by other users. Therefore posting the loaded data to the upper alternatives isn't possible anymore.

Any idea what's the cause of this behaviour? Am I overlooking something when configuring FME Server?

Thanks!

Luc

3 replies

Badge +2

@lucvdberghe Have you ever seen this behaviour when running your workflow from FME Desktop?

At a guess, I think the Smallworld writer is not releasing the alternative until FME shuts down, which never happens on FME Server. It should release the alternative when the Smallworld writer stops writing the last feature. If this is the case, then this is probably an issue in the Smallworld writer that would need to be fixed by GE. You could report this issue to GE Smallworld through your Smallworld distributor or your GE SupportCentral account.

Badge +2

@lucvdberghe A possible workaround would be to configure your FME Server to restart engines after every job (the default is to restart after 100 jobs). This can be changed in fmeServerConfig.txt with the MAX_TRANSACTION_RESULT_SUCCESSES parameter, see the FME Server documentation

Badge

Hi Mark,

Thx for your answer.

I did some extra tests. Running the workbench from FME Desktop also creates this problem. Once the alternative is switched to 'write', it remains locked by the user who started the Smallworld session, not by the FME Server user as I stated earlier. Only a restart of the Smallworld session unlocks the alternative.

We are also using the SBS plugin for Smallworld for other dataloads, and I'm pretty sure this writer isn't behaving this way.

I will contact our Smallworld distributor to look into this problem.