Question

Results differ between Workspaces and Workspacerunner (.txt to .xls)

• 9 August 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi,

I´m currently struggling with batch translating .txt-files to more workable .xls-files. For some reason the results seem to differ and can´t figure out why. The only thread I have found & tried to follow on the topic is one Link. I´m currently using FME 2016.1, which may also be a part of the problem.

The error/bug seem only to apear on xls-files. Other translations seem to work via a Workspacerunner. For Example attached "Textfix.fmw", that translate Files from "MWD"-format to .txt.

Grateful for any Advice on the Topic!

Examples below

Translation with workspace "TXT till XLS_2.fmw"

Translation with workspacerunner "Master.fmw"

Regards,

/Daniel

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi @danielloov I tried your workspaces with build 16717 and I get the same Excel file when run from the WorkspaceRunner in the parent workspace or directly from the child workspace. Can you try FME 2018?

Badge

Hi Dan! Thanks for your Quick reply, I tried to use 2018.0 with the same results(seemed to be a Workspacerunner bug in that version?). Will try to get a later version & try again.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @danielloov, I'm afraid that your master workspace could not bring your desired result, if you intend to perform the translations (MWD to TXT, TXT to XLSX) for each MWD file sequentially.

1. You should send only the features coming from the PATH reader to the first WorkspaceRunner to process MWD files one by one. Remove the Creator.
  2. You should set Yes to the Wait for Job to Complete parameter in the first WorkspaceRunner, since the txt-till-xls-2 workspace (second WorkspaceRunner) has to wait for the completion of writing the text file (I suspect that the wrong result you encountered has occurred because the txt-till-xls-2 workspace has read a wrong text file before the textfix workspace has completed).
  3. You should send only the features coming from the first WorkspaceRunner to the second WorkspaceRunner. Remove the second PATH reader.
  4. Set the text file path written by the textfix workspace (first WorkspaceRunner) to the SourceDataset_CSV parameter in the second WorkspaceRunner. If you create a published parameter (e.g. "DestDataset_TEXTLINE") to specify a folder into which the text files will be written, you can use it to set the SourceDataset_CSV parameter.

The starting portion of the master workspace should look like this.

Hope this helps.

Badge

Hi @danielloov, I'm afraid that your master workspace could not bring your desired result, if you intend to perform the translations (MWD to TXT, TXT to XLSX) for each MWD file sequentially.

1. You should send only the features coming from the PATH reader to the first WorkspaceRunner to process MWD files one by one. Remove the Creator.
  2. You should set Yes to the Wait for Job to Complete parameter in the first WorkspaceRunner, since the txt-till-xls-2 workspace (second WorkspaceRunner) has to wait for the completion of writing the text file (I suspect that the wrong result you encountered has occurred because the txt-till-xls-2 workspace has read a wrong text file before the textfix workspace has completed).
  3. You should send only the features coming from the first WorkspaceRunner to the second WorkspaceRunner. Remove the second PATH reader.
  4. Set the text file path written by the textfix workspace (first WorkspaceRunner) to the SourceDataset_CSV parameter in the second WorkspaceRunner. If you create a published parameter (e.g. "DestDataset_TEXTLINE") to specify a folder into which the text files will be written, you can use it to set the SourceDataset_CSV parameter.

The starting portion of the master workspace should look like this.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Takashi!

Yes this did the trick, works perfect now :)