Question

How fix an error with my Custom GDC File for WGS84 - WGS_1984_EGM2008_1x1_Height

Badge

Good Afternoon,

My Objective Build a simple model that will convert an elevation model that is using EGM2008 (Orthometric height) to one that uses Ellipsoid WGS84 My Test Case I'm using an Airbus WorldDEM
  • Horizontal Coordinate system: GCS WGS84(G1150)
  • Vertical Datum: EGM2008

https://www.intelligence-airbusds.com/worlddem-sampledata/

My Problem: The GDC file i created does not seem to work as the CsMap Reprojector Library does not contain provisions for setting WGS84(G1150). It only allows you to use LL84(EPSG 4326) which is the original version of WGS84.

So, i ignored the WGS84(G1150) and built the tool using LL84.

My Procedure (This would be the same for the regular FME 2018 Desktop)***************************************************************************************************************If you don't have ArcGIS Pro, you can download the same vertical shift files from the following location to test my methodology with FME Desktop.

http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/vertical-files.php

**************************************************************************************************************

1. Using this location C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\ProCoordinateSystemsData\\pedata\\vertical\\egm I copied
  • egm2008-1.grd
to the following location C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Data Interoperability for ArcGIS Pro\\Reproject\\GridData

2. I then made a copy of an existing GDC file from this location C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Data Interoperability for ArcGIS Pro\\Reproject\\GeoidHeightGrids\\World and i called it WGS_84 - WGS_1984_EGM2008_1x1_Height.gdcI then modified the path to

..\\..\\GridData\\egm2008-1.GRD

3. Open up the Data Interoperability tool (aka FME Workbench) and Drag and drop Geotiff Reader, CsMapReprojector Transformer and GeoTIFF Writer 4. Connect them together 5. Set the CsMapReprojector to use LL84 and Vertical Handling: Orthometric Height --> Geocentric or Ellipsoid Height

6. Set Geoid Height Grid using the following location"C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Data Interoperability for ArcGIS Pro\\Reproject\\GeoidHeightGrids\\World\\WGS_1984 - WGS_1984_EGM2008_1x1_Height.gdc"

7. Set the writer parameters (same Horizontal Coordinate) System 8. Run the tool

Please see the screen shot of my error

My Questions

1. Request for help to fix this error and allow my tool to work
  2. How do I make an ascii file with a .gdc extension from scratch ?

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @kevinbcrichlow,

I'm sorry, but the CsmapReprojector does not currently support the egm2008 GRD files, which are a different format than the WW15MGH.grd file shipped with FME. We have an enhancement request to add this support, and I will notify you when it is available.

Badge

Ok. Thanks. Would this be in place by end of August 2018 ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @kevinbcrichlow,

The request is not scheduled for FME 2019 development, so I don't think it will be available this year.

I did find a source for the grids in ArcGIS GRID format. You can download the desired tiles here, then convert to a grid file usable by FME by following the steps in this article.

Badge

Hi @kevinbcrichlow,

The request is not scheduled for FME 2019 development, so I don't think it will be available this year.

I did find a source for the grids in ArcGIS GRID format. You can download the desired tiles here, then convert to a grid file usable by FME by following the steps in this article.

Great. thanks !