Solved

Fill a 3D Model with geometry

Badge

Hello,

I have this object (brepsolid).

The goal is to create geometry based on its volume. I want this to look like a solid mass based on the boundaries of the cylinder.

I have tried SolidBuilder but it just converts the geometry to brepsolid. Is it because I should be using enclosed spaces?

I would really appreciate any ideas on handling this.

Kind regards,

George Floros

icon

Best answer by jovitaatsafe 5 June 2019, 01:28

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @georgefloros,

I'm not 100% sure on this one for your data, but if you could force it to 2D using the 2DForcer, check the polygon is closed, and fill in the area using an AreaBuilder, you could then use an Extruder to extrude to the length of your cylinder, resulting in a closed solid.

I mocked up a workspace clipping a smaller cylinder from a bigger cylinder and this workflow seems to work for me. It may depend on whether you get the shape you want when 2d forcing (perhaps a 3DRotator could help?), and the tricky part may be getting the length of your cylinder. Perhaps using the extents of the original solid, or a 3DBoundingBoxReplacer could be of use. Hopefully this works for you as well! Here's what my workspace looks like:

Source data that I created:

Output:

solid-fill.fmw

Badge

Hello @jovitaatsafe

thank you very much for your reply. Your solution has been really helpful and really close to my request. It needs some tweaking to fit the data but it shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

George Floros

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hello @jovitaatsafe

thank you very much for your reply. Your solution has been really helpful and really close to my request. It needs some tweaking to fit the data but it shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

George Floros

That's great to hear! You're very welcome!