Question

FME crashes when adding ArcGIS Pro Annotation Feature Class as FGDB writer target

• 7 November 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

I used basic steps to add new Annotation FCL as target feature in FME Workbench:

1. In ArcGIS Pro 2.3
    1. Create FGDB
    2. Add only one new Annotation FCL with only system attributes
  2. In FME 2019.1.3.1
    1. Add new FFS Reader with reference to FGDB (GEODATABASE_FILE)
    2. Import feature class from dataset
    3. From the table list, chose newly created annotation feature class
    4. Confirm Import on OK
    5. CRASH!

In Windows 10 Event Viewer I see following messages for each crash

Does anybode have an idea what can cause such problem?

6 replies

Badge +2

@ostoja I couldn't reproduce the import crash you have encountered. However, I might have different annotation feature class configuration. Can you attached a zip file that has the definition of your feature class and the associated annotation feature class?

Badge +1

@ostoja I couldn't reproduce the import crash you have encountered. However, I might have different annotation feature class configuration. Can you attached a zip file that has the definition of your feature class and the associated annotation feature class?

Hi @markatsafe,

After PC restart FME does not crash but error is now visible in Log pane and still present in the Event Viewer.

Kindly find attached small video and FGDB as a zip file.

Annot.gdb.zip

FGDB Reader Error.mp4

Badge +2

Hi @markatsafe,

After PC restart FME does not crash but error is now visible in Log pane and still present in the Event Viewer.

Kindly find attached small video and FGDB as a zip file.

Annot.gdb.zip

FGDB Reader Error.mp4

@ostoja Thanks for the movie and the sample geodb. We can reproduce the issue with that ,so we can try and determine what is causing the crash.

The issue is fixed in FME 2020 betas. The problem is that you've created this Geodb in the very latest (perhaps beta?) version of ArcPro. The Geodb ANNOTA feature class cannot be opened in ArcCatalog 10.7.1.

Badge +2

@ostoja Thanks for the movie and the sample geodb. We can reproduce the issue with that ,so we can try and determine what is causing the crash.

The issue is fixed in FME 2020 betas. The problem is that you've created this Geodb in the very latest (perhaps beta?) version of ArcPro. The Geodb ANNOTA feature class cannot be opened in ArcCatalog 10.7.1.

Just a bit more to add; this is related to ArcObjects 11 upgrades we need to make to FME.

Badge +1

Hi @markatsafe,

Annotation FCL was created in official version of ArcGIS Pro 2.3, which is, if I don't make mistake, supported with FME 2019.1.

Can you please tell me, do we have support for ArcObjects 11 in FME 2019.2 released last week? Does this mean that support for ArcGIS Pro 2.4 is not complete before FME 2020?

Badge +2

Hi @markatsafe,

Annotation FCL was created in official version of ArcGIS Pro 2.3, which is, if I don't make mistake, supported with FME 2019.1.

Can you please tell me, do we have support for ArcObjects 11 in FME 2019.2 released last week? Does this mean that support for ArcGIS Pro 2.4 is not complete before FME 2020?

@ostoja Full support for some of the ArcPro 2.4 changes will not be available until FME 2020. ArcPro Annotation is the primary one. The underlying changes are quite extensive so unfortunately it's not possible to port these back to 2019.x