Question

My coordinate system names are corrupted and causing problems

• 17 June 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I am unable to write features to a feature class, because FME doesn't recognize the coordinate system. This data is a feature class from a FIleGDB, in LL-WGS84. I didn't originally set the coordinate system, and it seem to read and position the features appropriately, but inspecting the features coming out of the reader, coordinate system is defined like this, with extra characters.

When I try to write the features to a new feature class, this message comes up.

Feature Caching is ON

The workspace may run slower because features are being recorded on all output ports.

Coordinate system named _LL-WGS84_0 does not exist.

The workbench appears to run successfully, but the feature class does not open and if I view written data in FME, the map opens up somewhere in Asia. I had added a custom transformer a couple of weeks ago, so I thought that might be causing the issue. I removed it from the documents folder and restarted FME, but it didn't seem to fix the problem. Has anyone else run across this issue?

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @supaustin,

Please disable feature caching in Workbench (deselect Run - Enable Feature Caching), then re-run your workspace. Alternatively, you can choose Rerun Entire Workspace instead of Run Workspace, which will force a read of the source data.

FME creates temporary coordinate systems whenever it reads Esri source data, in order to preserve the exact Esri coordinate system definition when writing back to Esri formats. These temporary coordinate systems are not yet cached with the data when feature caching is enabled, so a partial run will not be able to write out a coordinate system.