Solved

Read multiple shapefiles and write to GDB

• 11 March 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have a harddrive full of data I need to turn into a good database, essentially.

I'm starting with converting any shapefiles into feature classes. I know how to convert one shapefile into a feature class, but I'm struggling with multiples that live in multiple areas/folders.

I've got two workspaces setup so far.

• One is a read/write on ALL information in the hardrive. It writes a CSV so I can see what data exists. You can see the PATH in the photo below to see the data this reads.
  • The second is where my reader is set to read all .shp using the following to work through all "\\**\\*.shp" however this obviously does not read the underlying datasets that work together with a ShP to create it (.dbf .prj etc)

The write is a Feature dataset and the second is just a GDB set to fanout.

None seem to really do the job. Some export just a table, some just two feature classes.

I'm not sure if there is more I need to do within the workspace to process Shapefiles. I can't seem to find much documentation on shapefiles in FME or transformers.

It also doesn't help I'm working with ArcGIS Pro and not Desktop (which I'm experienced in), so understanding that along with this isn't the most straight forward.

Can anyone help?

icon

Best answer by chandan 11 March 2020, 12:38

View original

6 replies

Hello @kimburrows1242,

Try attached workbench (FME 2018.1), hope it will solve your problem.

shapetogdb.fmw

Badge

Hello @kimburrows1242,

Try attached workbench (FME 2018.1), hope it will solve your problem.

shapetogdb.fmw

Perfect. Thanks so much!

Badge
This doesn't seem to search for shapefiles within further subfolders. I've tried \\**.shp /*.shp /**.shp. Any ideas?
Userlevel 1
Badge +21

Try \\**\\*.shp

Badge

Try \\**\\*.shp

Thanks and do you think that will go through all sub-folders and their sub-folders etc or just one set of sub-folders?

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

Thanks and do you think that will go through all sub-folders and their sub-folders etc or just one set of sub-folders?

That should look in all sub-folders and their sub-folders