Question

Help with InlineQuerier

• 10 February 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge +13

I need help joining a table based on whether or not a feature falls within a date-time range.

Table A: Has an attribute with unique recorded date-times for all 3,233 records

Table B: Has a "Start Date-Time" and an "End Date-Time" field for all 29 records

I built this query:

and it was able to join and return 2,731 records that met the criteria.

Here's a sample of what was joined:

My issue now is how to join return the other 502 records that may not fall the range listed above. I've tried several iterations such as NOT BETWEEN, IS NO, <>, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Note: Tables are generated from a CSV so that's why I chose InlineQuerier.

FME 2018.1.1.2 (Build 18586) 64-bit

9 replies

Badge +2

Isn’t it a different type of join you’re looking for? Possibly a right join maybe.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38549/what-is-the-difference-between-inner-join-and-outer-join

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Isn’t it a different type of join you’re looking for? Possibly a right join maybe.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38549/what-is-the-difference-between-inner-join-and-outer-join

Agree. This type of join might be what you need.

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

Are you looking for all records returned, including unmerged in one query, or a separate query to return only unmerged?

Something like this for all records

SELECT * from mergedRecords M
left join
aRecords A
on M.fullDateG between A.startFullDateA and A.endFullDateA

or this if you just want to return unmerged

SELECT * from mergedRecords M, aRecords A
on M.fullDateG not between A.startFullDateA and A.endFullDateA
Badge +13

Unfortunately, I get the following error that states RIGHT and FULL OUTER JOIN are not currently supported. I would love to use a a RIGHT JOIN here.

Badge +13

Are you looking for all records returned, including unmerged in one query, or a separate query to return only unmerged?

Something like this for all records

SELECT * from mergedRecords M
left join
aRecords A
on M.fullDateG between A.startFullDateA and A.endFullDateA

or this if you just want to return unmerged

SELECT * from mergedRecords M, aRecords A
on M.fullDateG not between A.startFullDateA and A.endFullDateA

@egomm the top script returns 3,236 records which is 3 more than 3,233 I originally started with. I ran a duplicate filter and inspected the 3 records and it is data I need to keep. I'll take this flow for now and swap out those 3 records some how. But it would be nice to avoid all of the extra transformers. Note: I tried SELECT DISTINCT and just SELECT and both statements returned the 3 extra records.

Badge +2

Unfortunately, I get the following error that states RIGHT and FULL OUTER JOIN are not currently supported. I would love to use a a RIGHT JOIN here.

That’s interesting as only ever used inner joins.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

"left join" is applicable.

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

@egomm the top script returns 3,236 records which is 3 more than 3,233 I originally started with. I ran a duplicate filter and inspected the 3 records and it is data I need to keep. I'll take this flow for now and swap out those 3 records some how. But it would be nice to avoid all of the extra transformers. Note: I tried SELECT DISTINCT and just SELECT and both statements returned the 3 extra records.

Do you have overlapping periods in the table you are matching to? This would result in additional values as all matches in the left table are returned.

Badge +13

Ended up leveraged the 'Adjacent Feature Attributes' function to back-fill missing data fields.