Solved

Python, external package installation, problem

• 30 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Dear Community, 

I would like to integrate one external library called pyntcloud (https://github.com/daavoo/pyntcloud) within a workspace. I have made some testing within conda environment and everything worked perfectly. 

However, when I wanted to run it within a FME workspace there was a problem with a package. The following error occurs:

2020-06-30 15:43:16|   0.5|  0.0|INFORM|Using Python interpreter from `C:\Program Files\FME\fmepython37\python37.dll' with PYTHONHOME `C:\Program Files\FME\fmepython37'
2020-06-30 15:43:16|   0.5|  0.0|INFORM|Python version 3.7 loaded successfully
2020-06-30 15:43:16|   0.5|  0.0|INFORM|Adding folder `C:\Users\SAVe\AppData\Local\Temp\' to the python path
2020-06-30 15:43:16|   0.5|  0.0|INFORM|Emptying factory pipeline
2020-06-30 15:43:17|   1.3|  0.8|ERROR |Python Exception <OSError>: [WinError 126] The specified module could not be found
2020-06-30 15:43:17|   1.3|  0.0|ERROR |Error executing string `import<space>fme<lf>import<space>fmeobjects<lf><lf>import<space>pyntcloud<lf><lf>def<space>processFeature<openparen>feature<closeparen>:<lf><space><space><space><space>pass<lf><lf>'
2020-06-30 15:43:17|   1.3|  0.0|FATAL |Factory proxy not initialized
2020-06-30 15:43:17|   1.3|  0.0|FATAL |PythonCaller (PythonFactory): PythonFactory failed to process feature
2020-06-30 15:43:17|   1.3|  0.0|ERROR |A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Even tough I have seen how to perform the installation (https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/Workbench/Installing-Python-Packages.htm). I have tried also to change native interpreter to Python 3.6 (as in case of my conda testing but still FME enforces Python 3.7).

I thought that alternative solution could be to point out to conda interpreter0684Q00000ArCpcQAF.png but then this error occurs: 

2020-06-30 15:40:18|   0.5|  0.0|INFORM|The user-specified Python interpreter `C:\Users\SAVe\.conda\envs\YOLO\python36.dll' is version 3.6 with PYTHONHOME `C:\Users\SAVe\.conda\envs\YOLO'
2020-06-30 15:40:18|   0.5|  0.0|INFORM|Python version 3.6 loaded successfully
Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: unable to load the file system codec
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'encodings'
Current thread 0x00005e40 (most recent call first):
Error running translation.

Do you have any idea how to solve this?

icon

Best answer by oloocki 14 July 2020, 13:20

View original

7 replies

Badge +1

I think the conda-approach could work, but then you might need to install all the modules that come with Python+FME, to not run into issues. I think that's why the encoding-import fails - but even installing it the "right" FME-way, I couldn't get it to load either - I'll try some more stuff!

EDIT:

When I run fme.exe python from cmd (to get the python interpreter that FME will use, good for debugging), and then write import pyntcloud, I get this error: 

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\mywindowsaccount\Documents\FME\Plugins\Python\pyntcloud\__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .core_class import PyntCloud
  File "C:\Users\mywindowsaccount\Documents\FME\Plugins\Python\pyntcloud\core_class.py", line 6, in <module>
    from .structures.base import StructuresDict
  File "C:\Users\mywindowsaccount\Documents\FME\Plugins\Python\pyntcloud\structures\__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
    from .convex_hull import ConvexHull
  File "C:\Users\mywindowsaccount\Documents\FME\Plugins\Python\pyntcloud\structures\convex_hull.py", line 2, in <module>
    from scipy.spatial import ConvexHull as scipy_ConvexHull
  File "C:\Users\mywindowsaccount\Documents\FME\Plugins\Python\scipy\__init__.py", line 104, in <module>
    from . import _distributor_init
  File "C:\Users\mywindowsaccount\Documents\FME\Plugins\Python\scipy\_distributor_init.py", line 61, in <module>
    WinDLL(os.path.abspath(filename))
  File "D:\obj\windows-release\37amd64_Release\msi_python\zip_amd64\__init__.py", line 364, in __init__
OSError: [WinError 126] The specified module could not be found

So, something in some underlying project hasn't gone well. scipy seems to be the issue, since it points to a path that absolutely doesn't exist. 

@fhilding Thank you for your answer. I posted this issue at the GitHub repo of pyntcloud.

@david_r I have seen your comment here. Would you mind to give some hints why conda environment is not cooperating? :)

Userlevel 5

I haven't used conda much, and not with venvs, but have you already looked at this post?

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/83789/configuring-anaconda-environment-in-fme.html

Badge +1

While I haven't tested anything specifically with this package, from recent Python experiments in FME I did find that sometimes you get package conflicts. If pyntcloud depends on a library that FME already uses you might have a version conflict.

Try importing all the dependencies and print their module.__version__ then compare between your venv result and FME. If it is different you can play silly games with temporary changes to sys.path to get around it.

Thanks Guys (@fhilding @david_r @jstanger) for those answers! I have found a solution!

However, I would like to give some hints by explaining my steps for solving the problem:

1. Pyntcloud does not work with Python 3.7 properly and indeed scipy cause some problems. I have opened the ticket at the GitHub repo.
  2. ...but it does work with Python 3.6! Therefore, I have created a virtual environment within conda and set up it as Custom Interpreter (see @david_r link) . The environment triggered but the package not as somehow FME was still looking within main packages of conda, not within my virtual environment.
  3. So, I have figured out a different approach. I have downloaded standard Python 3.6 and used pip to install pyntcloud. Then pointed out to this Python in the FME configuration (here, double-check whether PYTHONHOME, PYTHONPATH and Path point out to the same Python directory in your Windows variables). Now... it is working!
Badge +1

Thanks Guys (@fhilding @david_r @jstanger) for those answers! I have found a solution!

However, I would like to give some hints by explaining my steps for solving the problem:

1. Pyntcloud does not work with Python 3.7 properly and indeed scipy cause some problems. I have opened the ticket at the GitHub repo.
  2. ...but it does work with Python 3.6! Therefore, I have created a virtual environment within conda and set up it as Custom Interpreter (see @david_r link) . The environment triggered but the package not as somehow FME was still looking within main packages of conda, not within my virtual environment.
  3. So, I have figured out a different approach. I have downloaded standard Python 3.6 and used pip to install pyntcloud. Then pointed out to this Python in the FME configuration (here, double-check whether PYTHONHOME, PYTHONPATH and Path point out to the same Python directory in your Windows variables). Now... it is working!

Nice job with the fastidious debugging, @oloocki!